Menu
Wise owl
Message 51 of 65 (263 Views)

Re: How to stop Windows 10 forcing itself onto PCs.

cybmole wrote:

Since upgrading to w10, i have had no upgrade to w10 nags at all.

What you do have is an OS which slurps your data, forces unwanted driver updates which can bork previously working hardware, which removes software and applications which you have installed because it doesn't like them and treats all devices as a mobile phone. Smiley Surprised

The obvious solution is upgrade and be done with it,or roll back to vista😄

The obvious solution is to run an OS which you have chosen and have control over. Smiley Wink

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Wise owl
Message 52 of 65 (241 Views)

This may be worth a look: http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 53 of 65 (234 Views)

0 Kudos
Rising star
Message 54 of 65 (225 Views)

[ Edited ]

Windows 10 borkened my brother's (skill level: facebook=internet) win7 laptop.  The guy at the computer shop asked "Why did you install 10 on it?" he replied that it was a "free recommnded update".  "It's not compatible with your laptop."  It was running fine for the time since installation then it totally packed up for no apparent reason; after several repeated logins, just a black screen of death.

I suspected that it was the keyboard driver since 3 letters came out on the pressing of various keys, but others were fine.  I resorted to the on screen keyboard to log in, which worked, but wasn't any good.  I advised him to make sure he got a disk or usb effort with W10 on it, or that he could have put Linux Mint on it (probably a much better idea), or even a cheapo tablet.

Guy in the computer shop: "Oh, you don't need that".  Total cost inc VAT £78.  All he had done was back up some stuff, clean installed W10 and updated a few drivers,  the backing up being something that I was unable to do.  So much for a "free" update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure.
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans.
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant.
I only invent the bomb - I don't drop it. Bryce Lynch.
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 55 of 65 (202 Views)

Just to balance things out - I've never had a problem with Windows 10.  I've been using it since beta and it has worked really well.  It is certainly much better than its predecessors and for me at least just does what it should do and works - no messing.

I'm on the Insider Preview so I am currently trialling the very latest build too - Again, no major issues.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
Joining in
Message 56 of 65 (188 Views)

easy just switch to linux based operating sytem

Wise owl
Message 57 of 65 (130 Views)

The data slurp goes on.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/06/microsoft_windows_10_creators_update/

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Community elder
Message 58 of 65 (124 Views)

Does not bother me. My pcs are wired so  Bandwidth is paid for anyway and nothing to hide. So if slurping crash data etc  helps with future bug fixes and prevention that is all ok

0 Kudos
Knows their stuff
Message 59 of 65 (114 Views)

Well, as far as I'm concerned that's just another reason to never use it. I'll shall continue to deploy my extra long, carbon fibre, titanium tipped barge pole when it comes to Windows 10.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 60 of 65 (93 Views)

well this time around, instead of delaying the inevitable ( like I did with Anniversary update )  I volunteered one of my PCs to get the Creators Update now today.

took a couple of hours to complete but seems to have gone through glitch free....One of the chirpy on screen messages that come up near the end while it's finalising is something about " updates to protect you in an online world. For

One of the chirpy on screen messages that come up near the end while it's finalising is something about " updates to protect you in an online world. 

That's why  I update to 10 latest, not stay some less secure older version. If that means some of my usage gets shared with Microsoft I hope it does not bore them to death trawling through it Smiley Happy

0 Kudos