Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 41 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to stop Windows 10 forcing itself onto PCs.

i'ts not just kindle paperwhites, it's happening with Kindle Voyage also, I read.

the guardian covered it yesterday, and it is reported on mobileread forums

I also read that although Microsoft sill do not acknowledge issues they have already rolled out some updates to 1607, and that a similar problem with Kobo e-readers not working on USB is now resolved ( this from mobileread forums) 

the very inconvenient workaround for Kindles is shut down PC, connect kindle, then reboot. its OK if allowed to boot up with Kindle already connected, but will crash again each time you remove and reconnect Kindle

so glad I postponed my updates as I do use Kindle voyage and I do sideload via USB.

when Kobo devices were messed up there was some detailed tech speculation on as to why and whether it was Kobo or MS to blame. apparently Kobo firmware relied on loose file access permissions with MS how for force into strict alignment with spec. Agian, mobile read is the go-to source for more info

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 42 of 65
Flag for a moderator

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/01/win10_update_to_fix_freezing/

Windows 10 fix for freezing PCs finally flung at folks.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 43 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Nearly missed this: 

Latest Intel, AMD chips will only run Windows 10 ... and Linux, BSD, OS X: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/02/windows_intel_kaby_lake_amd_zen/

"Basically, for now, don't buy an Intel seventh-generation Core nor an AMD Zen CPU if you want to keep running Windows 7 or 8.1. Shame."

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 44 of 65
Flag for a moderator

EU privacy gurus peer at Windows 10, still don't like what they see.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/21/eu_privacy_gurus_peer_at_windows_10_still_dont_like_what_the...

Microsoft unveiled new privacy controls as part of its forthcoming “Creators Update” to Windows 10 due this spring. However, Reuters reports that the Article 29 Working Party, which represents the data protection commissioners of the EU member states, still has “concerns”. The Working Party first raised the issue of personal data processing in Windows 10 with Microsoft last year.

So from Windows 8.0 in 2012, which presented personal data acquisition as largely optional, to Windows 10 three years later, where the consent screen resembles a click-through EULA, Microsoft has made personal data acquisition a top priority.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 45 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Yes, and I've noticed only this week a new MS update aimed at scanning your computer to make sure it is compatible for the next OS 'upgrade'.   Back to their old tricks it seems.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 46 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

Yes, and I've noticed only this week a new MS update aimed at scanning your computer to make sure it is compatible for the next OS 'upgrade'.   Back to their old tricks it seems.

When I was re-installing Windows 7 on a laptop (hard drive failed, so I had to replace it and install the OS) about a month or two ago, before I had even got to hit Windows update check in the control panel... on the first login to the admin account it asked me if I wanted to install Windows 10 - lol.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 47 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

What version of Windows are you running?

I've just checked for updates on my Windows 7 Ultimate system. There are no important updates, and certainly none which want to scan for compatibility for the next OS upgrade. None of the optional updates apply either.

I'll check my Windows 7 Professional system and see if that's the same.

I suppose, for me, it's a moot point anyway. I have no intention of "upgrading" to a newer version of Windows higher the versions I am already running.

When extended support for Windows 7 expires in January 2020 I'll transfer to one of the Linux distros and MS can slurp somebody else's data. Smiley Mad

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 48 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Sololobo wrote:

Dave_cq wrote:

What version of Windows are you running?

I've just checked for updates on my Windows 7 Ultimate system. There are no important updates, and certainly none which want to scan for compatibility for the next OS upgrade. None of the optional updates apply either.

I'll check my Windows 7 Professional system and see if that's the same.

I suppose, for me, it's a moot point anyway. I have no intention of "upgrading" to a newer version of Windows higher the versions I am already running.

When extended support for Windows 7 expires in January 2020 I'll transfer to one of the Linux distros and MS can slurp somebody else's data. Smiley Mad

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate.

On 10th Feb 2017  KB2952664 reappeared ... remember that one.  Do a google, Its reappearance has been noted in several forums with disgust.

On 19th February 2017 KB3150513 appeared ... can't remember if this is an old revival or not but it is designed to snoop your system in readiness for a system 'upgrade'.

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 49 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info and for providing the offending KB numbers. 

Yes, I remember KB2952664, with more than a little despair. In fact I can feel a bout of vomiting coming on!

I haven't seen anything about KB3150513 since September last year so thanks for the heads up.

Perhaps I have missed these updates due to using Never10 from grc  https://www.grc.com/never10.htm in conjunction with gwx control panel http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ (belt and braces approach!).

I'll be watching out for these, and perhaps other KB "updates" far more carefully now.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 50 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Since upgrading to w10, i have had no upgrade to w10 nags at all.

The obvious solution is upgrade and be done with it,or roll back to vista😄

0 Kudos