Menu
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 65 (823 Views)

Re: How to stop Windows 10 forcing itself onto PCs.

Whilst I agreee that it was a dirty trick, disreputable to say the least, I got so fed up with the upgrade reminder that I upgraded! No regrets.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Wise owl
Message 22 of 65 (774 Views)

Microsoft u-turn on "nasty trick" pop-up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 23 of 65 (748 Views)

The main PC in our house was on WIN 7 , then 8 now 10.

And no doubt 10 is better. I really don't get what the fuss is about.

Privacy concerns? what are you doing running Windows if you have privacy concerns?

Upgrade costs? 8 to 10 is free in most cases.

Resource issue? 10 runs smoother than 7 on our PC...

The fact that its a "reccomended" (okay forced) upgrade- time for a new OS, its ALWAYS been prudent to upgrade you Windows installation. Except Vista.

Knows their stuff
Message 24 of 65 (738 Views)

"The main PC in our house was on WIN 7 , then 8 now 10.

And no doubt 10 is better. I really don't get what the fuss is about."

Better, in what way?

"its ALWAYS been prudent to upgrade you Windows installation. Except Vista."

Why? XP worked fine and still does, it did everything I needed. I only moved to Win 7 because some of the software I use for work no longer supported XP, so my hand was forced. I made Win 7 look and work as much like XP as I could. I'm happy with it and I can do everything I might possibly want with an OS. Vista, as you say, was pants. As was 8 and 8.1 (I use a desktop PC and laptop. Why would I want it to function like a tablet or smart phone?). Win 10, free or not, no thanks.

0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 25 of 65 (727 Views)

Kippies wrote:

The main PC in our house was on WIN 7 , then 8 now 10.

I have run PC's under DOS, Windows 3, Windows 3.1,  Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP (and unfortunately Windows Vista on one occasion) before ending up on Windows 7. On each and every new iteration it has been my choice to "upgrade", and I have paid for the privilege on each and every system I have. I have chosen not to update to Windows 8 or 8.1 as I saw no real benefits to me in doing so.

I see no benefits to me to "upgrading" to Windows 10 at this time. As long as security updates are still being applied to Windows 7 I will choose to stay with that. Currently Windows 7 with SP1 support is set to continue until January 2020. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle. That will do me for the time being.

Under Windows 7 I currently have working software applications, along with stable and working hardware and driver support. Not something which can be said for Windows 10.

And no doubt 10 is better. I really don't get what the fuss is about.

I do doubt that Windows 10 is better. It may be better for Microsoft but not necessarily for the end user.

Privacy concerns? what are you doing running Windows if you have privacy concerns?

I didn't have concerns about privacy until Windows 10 and the amount of "telemetry" being being sent by default to MS. That information will be "monetised", one way or another.

Upgrade costs? 8 to 10 is free in most cases.

Nothing is for free these days. If you are not being charged in monetary terms then user data will be sold to the highest bidder instead.

Resource issue? 10 runs smoother than 7 on our PC...

That may well be true for you, if you are happy to accept running an OS as a service, and accept that your working systems may well become unstable when incompatible updates are applied without your permission. 

The fact that its a "reccomended" (okay forced) upgrade- time for a new OS, its ALWAYS been prudent to upgrade you Windows installation. Except Vista.

It is prudent to ensure that any OS you are running is updated with current security updates and patches. That does not necessarily mean you should be forced into running a new OS under which you have no control. 

I can see a time in the not too distant future when I will move to another OS but it's likely to be something like Linux Mint instead of any versions of Windows.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 26 of 65 (717 Views)

[ Edited ]
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 27 of 65 (707 Views)

Windows 10, for me has worked straight "out of the box"

No TCP tweaks needed. Firewall works properly. Anti Malware works properly. Other PC's on the network show up. Android devices show up. NAS shows up. No setting itself as "master browser" and other devices dissapearing when you turn main PC off. Networking works 100% of the time. Updates work. Network Printers behave themselves. The start menu is pretty good. Its consistent across devices. Restarting for updates every 40 minutes is a thing of the past. Drivers behave themselves once installed. And usually install themselves. No messing around with Homegroups needed. Better HID integration, using a XBOX controller is now actually possible without a degree in computer science...

Hence "better"

There IS a price to pay. Anything a few years old that hits the hardware rather than using abstraction layers keels over dead. Solution- dual boot it.

And Microsoft have been garnering user data and selling it on since XP. Hence why if privacy is a concern, there are preferable OS's out there. Its not new to Win10. For the average user, chances are your leaking more data through your browser than through Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 28 of 65 (697 Views)

[ Edited ]

why pass on a free upgrade which will cost you £100 after july 2016

to have it all ways:

1. take a system image of how it is now,.

2. accept the upgrade, let it activate, then optionally also do a fresh clean W10 install.  Take another system image once that is complete and activated.

3. if you are not liking 2, go back and restore from step 1, anytime.

there will soon be no more security updates to W7, if they have not already stopped. so your not-upgraded systems becomes more and more virus / ransomware prone. Safe enough if you never go online, but drive-by-malware can easily take out a windows 7 or earlier install, even with UAC on.

Wise owl
Message 29 of 65 (646 Views)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/windows_10_nagware_no_way_out/

Windows 10 nagware: You can't click X. Make a date OR ELSE.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Wise owl
Message 30 of 65 (627 Views)

0 Kudos