Menu
mordax
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How can i remove hidden BACKDOOR from my VM router?

For several weeks (in fact couple years by now), I've noticed that virgin media has this backdoor access to all the routers. They remotely log into your router (i'm not talking about the remote access that you can enable / disable on router). I'm talking about the HIDDEN BACKDOOR that virginmedia uses to push their junky firmware updates on it.

for example today i lost 200 pounds because i was cut off in middle of stream duo one of their "updates" again. So this update changed the Hub 3 theme completely, now there is some picture of some random noobs sitting and laughing on background (I mean the background image on admin page @ 192.168.0.1).

Further more every time i go to the admin page, it now asks me to choose language, then furthermore ALL of my settings were reset to defaults ... this is 9th time in 2 weeks already.
my port forwarding for 15 different computers is GONE ... do you know how long it takes to set this up and then verify? do you know how much it costs me?
i'm hardware and software engineer and I work from home, i need all this to work 24/7, but today it all got messed up once again thanks to virgin media's hidden BACKDOOR that they use to mess up settings on daily basis.

Now I also have to change my admin password on router and it msut be 8 characters long, contain 1 lower case 1 upper case and 1 number. I don't need or want this. it's very annoying to have this!!! I need my old password back.

So i'm asking those tech people, how can I REMOVE that backdoor that virgin media has planted in the router? it is seriously getting on my nerves, i have lost countless amounts of money because of those contant disconnects and "updates" on my router.

WORST part, is that router does not get any better. i'm about to start pulling my hair out, this is how angry virgin media is making me. they just randomly push their new crappy firmware onto the router without my agreement, this obviously means a good 30 - 200 minutes of downtime, which costs me 100 - 1000 pounds EACH TIME this happens.

UNACCEPTABLE SERVICE! So if anyone knows how to remove this backdoor, please help. thanks.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can i remove hidden BACKDOOR from my VM router?

The point you miss is that its not YOUR router, its theirs. Their equipment, their firmware , their rules there is nothing you can do to block firmware updates.

As for you losing hundreds of pounds each time, you are in breach of contract if running a business through a residential contract.

Get a business contract, pay properly for your uploads, don't rip off us genuine consumers by hogging all the bandwidth.

tekmobile
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Simple you can't

Plus it is not your router it belongs to virgin everything up to that point is there responsibility to maintain

If such downtime costs you so much money then you should be on a guaranteed leased line or at minimum a business line this is a residential service and not designed for business use so unfortunately nothing you can do about it

Any attempts to modify the equipment you are loaned will probably be detected and most likely lead to your account be terminated

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As has been said by others, it's a residential service, if you want guaranteed levels of service you need to go for a leased line.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/managed-internet-access/?CMP=snb_...

30 Mbps upload and download speeds starting at a mere £325 a month.

Dave.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

but also, you probably have a fault, My hub 3 stays up for weeks/ months it is on 24/7 ( though I am not! ) & it  never spontaneously reboots. Either you are drastically overloading it somehow to crash it regularly or you have a bad one that needs a swap out

running 15 busy PCs through it is not what it's designed to cope with ! It's an entry level typical household device only

at least , put it in modem only mode, set up your complicated port forwarding on your own separate fit-for-purpose commerical router

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HiVMBye wrote:

As has been said by others, it's a residential service, if you want guaranteed levels of service you need to go for a leased line.

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/managed-internet-access/?CMP=snb_...

30 Mbps upload and download speeds starting at a mere £325 a month.

Dave.

hiya @HiVMBye wouldn't need a leased line, e.g. having a private cable running from property all the way back to the local head end.. and possible further on.. can guess business broadband for £30 a month for 350/7 connection speeds (upto) Smiley Happy with a SLA of 48hrs, and then can pay extra for better SLA

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately. everyone's replying to the OP's question without necessarily helping him understand what's going on.

Let's start with this.

There have been no firmware updates pushed recently.  Even the turning on of the Wifi hotspot functionality didn't require an additional update to the existing firmware.  It was already there, it was just waiting to be enabled at the CMTS.

If you go to 192.168.0.1 and log in, you should be able to check your current Firmware.

Here's mine:

Software version: 9.1.116V

However, there are times when the hub loses connection to the network that it will get confused and come out with the Updating page Smiley Sad.

So @mordax would you care to post your upstream and downstream power levels from the status page?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

So @mordax would you care to post your upstream and downstream power levels from the status page?

Tim

you realise that interrupting his workflow to do that is going to cost him £100s Smiley Happy

also this makes no sense "Now I also have to change my admin password on router and it msut be 8 characters long, contain 1 lower case 1 upper case and 1 number. I don't need or want this. it's very annoying to have this!!! I need my old password back."

I had to do comply with that on the day my hub3 was setup - that's not a sudden, new imposition, unless he's only just gotten around to changing the default - surely nor something a professional hardware and software engineer would have overlooked for months ?

arithmetic is not his strong point either, unless he has happy-to-be fleeced customers. lets see...

30 - 200 minutes of downtime, which costs me 100 - 1000 pounds.

so he's charging 1000/200 =  £5 per minute. nice work if you can get it

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"hiya @HiVMBye wouldn't need a leased line, e.g. having a private cable running from property all the way back to the local head end.. and possible further on.. can guess business broadband for £30 a month for 350/7 connection speeds (upto) Smiley Happywith a SLA of 48hrs, and then can pay extra for better SLA"

"Managed

While you innovate we’ll be monitoring your service 24/7.  A dedicated service relationship manager keeps things consistent."

Worth every penny. Smiley Happy

Dave.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@HiVMBye @paultechy 

It's probably best to continue your discussion in a separate thread - Let's try and concentrate on the OP's problem in this one, rather than get sidetracked.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.