Menu
timetraveller
Tuning in
Message 61 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone tried the new Windows 10 vers 1709 yet?

Hope you told it if it acts like a rebellious infant again your going to fix it with a hammer 😂 I love it when they make it hard for me to sort out, keeps the brain ticking over 😉 you know your sis going to get you to do it all over again in 6 months 😁 unless you make an administrators account and then her account, makes life easier for next time
0 Kudos
timetraveller
Tuning in
Message 62 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Check that the store isn't updating apps at same time, often happens like that, then both hang , pause store updates until after windows has updated, can always disable automatic update in store settings to
0 Kudos
timetraveller
Tuning in
Message 63 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I'm a windows insider so get pre-releases of it, hence 17024 on laptop, phone is on 1709 though, different edition though
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 64 of 65
Flag for a moderator

My desktop is like NASA compared to my sister's laptop (it has lots of blue lights on it; they're everywhere, it looks like an emrgency).  It only has an Intel Atom B(100 something or other) processor and 2GB of RAM.  Even though this is the bare minimum of resources to run Windows 10 64 bit, I EXPECT IT TO WORK!!  I've had to do jiggery pokery to kill adverts.  The same updates that I get are delayed by weeks (or even months).  Updates that take me 2 1/2 hours on my machine take over 9 hours on hers. Man MadMan Frustrated

Again, look for CatRoot2 on your machine.  This means the WU broke, like it did on my XP machine.  Further instructions suggest that I rename this to CatRoot2.old and then create a new CatRoot2 folder to fix stuff that has broken twice.   I suspect the Atom based processors aren't quite up to the job.  

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 65 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Some corrections to my previous post which was completely incorrect due to sheer laziness on my part.  My sister's laptop has a Celeron 2 core B815 processor.  Man Embarassed

Today, I did however, get an update bomb on it.  Google Chrome decided that it needed updating and had been trying to do so by running 6 copies of Google Update/installer.  Whilst the googles were doing their thing, (slowing the computer down) Adobe Reader decided it too wanted some of the action and began downloading itself at the same time. 

Noseying around in Task Manager I noticed quite a lot of disk activity at 100%.  WiFi was bouncing up and down as was CPU activity.  About 20 minutes passed and AR installed itself quite happily (albeit slowly) and the googles were googling for another 1/2 an hour or so.  I killed some stuff that wasn't doing anything much (Cortana refused to die quietly and kept popping up like some demented computerised zombie, as did the other useless Microsoft stuff).  Windows 10 phoned home several times with error reports during this nonsense slowing it down even more. 

The googles slowly killed themselves and the CPU went down to about 3-4% as did the disk activity.  The anti-virus also needed updates and I postponed a system restart so my sister could do what she wanted to do.  I pronounced the computer alive after about an hour of mindless faffing about.  My sister did her thing which took about 15 minutes or so.Smiley Indifferent

If I could stop certain stuff, the laptop would actually work quite well considering it only cost £200.  Considering it's age as well, it wasn't a bad buy.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos