Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 21 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone tried the new Windows 10 vers 1709 yet?

The thing is that at the time of posting I can't access any of the settings as this problem has taken them out.  I've tried Powershell Administrator stuff and that doesn't work.  It's taken me the best part of the week to get this far.   I've had to create a new user account which seems to be OK; I'm in the middle of testing it as I type this on Edge. Everything I do use seems to be intact.  This is gonna be fun for Stevie K if they have the same problem.   I still can't work out what has gone wrong with it, as there doesn't seem to be anything untoward happening in task manager as far as I can tell.Smiley Frustrated  The GodMode shortcut may be a casualty as it got merged into something else entirely, which is odd as I didn't have any problems with it before.  Smiley Indifferent

I've also noticed that a lot of stuff on various websites is quite ancient and (in my case at least) hasn't worked.

If you search your OS disk drive for "Catroot2" and find it, this means somewhere along the line Windows Update "feature" broke.  I remember this as I had to do it manually for the XP machine.  How to do it instructions are in the bowels of Microsoft somewhere.Smiley Very Happy

It's been a ruddy nightmare.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Tomo72
Dialled in
Message 22 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Does anyone know if this update address the issue of blurry text on high DPI monitors?

Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 23 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep
I wonder if a Windows 10 refresh would help.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 24 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Good idea. Refresh it with Windows 7, or one of the many variants of Linux. Smiley Wink

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 25 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@ Tomo72  In Windows 10 Does anyone know if this update address the issue of blurry text on high DPI monitors?

Launching in Windows 10 Technical Preview :

One can easily see the differences if in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview. Clear or check the Turn on ClearType check box in the ClearType Text Tuner window.

Click on Start and type cttune in the Search box. Hit the Enter key. ClearType Text Tuner will be launched immediately. One can also launch the same via Control Panel > Fonts > Adjust ClearType Text.

You will find the check box Turn on ClearType is checked or marked by default .If you unchecked this option you will visualize the difference in font smoothing immediately.

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 26 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I went through quite a lot of stuff that didn't work and didn't to reinstall everything as it still worked at times.  Firing up shortcuts started other programs and websites I tried to visit fired up unexpectedly all in one go when it decided to work.  Creating a new user account seems to have solved the problem and I have been switching between the new and broken accounts copying stuff as I go.  Transferring files and folders hasn't been difficult.  There's nothing in the firewall network logs to suggest anything untoward is happening such as a virus/trojan/malware infestation.  However, that is how it has been behaving.  I still have no idea what has happened, nor can I find any reference on the internet to why I have these problems.

The leap to a 64 bit OS from a 32 bit affair has broken a lot of the basic tasks I want to do (e.g. checking emails).  If something like this has taken  me almost two weeks to sort out I wouldn't like to think those that do it for work would get on if it took down a network of 300+ computers.  It seems to me that Microsoft are so obsessed with dishing up adverts and other trivial nonsense they have forgotten that some of us use computers to actually do other things than use them as a glorified TV set.  Windows 10 is a triumph of marketing over common sense/logic/reasoning.Smiley Indifferent

Not only that, it still has the same bugs that XP had.Smiley Very Happy

--
No system is 100% secure
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 27 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I haven't used screen savers since Windows 95 now I enjoy coming back to the PC

after being gone for a while to see the flow bubbles onscreen Smiley Very Happy lol

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 28 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I appear to be back at least in some way.  Windows 10 tends to torture you at work with pictures of places you'd rather be.

--
No system is 100% secure
RebeccaLyne
Joining in
Message 29 of 39
Flag for a moderator

It sounds good, I would love to new Windows 10 version wanna badly try out the new features. Smiley Tongue 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 30 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I have kept away from it for now due to ms killing off mspaint.

I rely on paint quite a bit on my day to day work.
Anyone confirm if mspaint was removed with this update?

The artist formally known as Swt4ajp
0 Kudos