Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Fire HDx tablet - will not stream netflix HD

long wrangles with both netflix and amazon. bottom line is I ahve a HDX tablet that is supposed to stream Netflix in HD, but doesnt. it streams SD only, yet it can stream amazon video in 1080p, no problem.

fast .com on tablet browser clock in st 80+ yet netflix insist it must be in ISP issue.

yet I can put the fire tablet next to my amazon fire tv stick, same wifi, same location, get HD on stick, SD on tablet

I have tried 2.4 and 5 wifi channels, 3 different DNS- virgin, google, open dns, many netflix app versions, resets and reboots, and cache clears

I am about to that the tablet to my sons house & test on his Sky internet... but could someone please review & discount the gobbeldygook below, from netlix chat. I assert that becasue I also tested using 2 different wired access points as well as both hub3 wifi channels, it cannot be a "ports" issue but happy to be proved wrong if that gets me to a working solution.

if I go by wire from hub to asus access poiint then wifi into that AP, surely all the waffle about modem ports below becomes null ?. I have done that on 2.4 and on 5, with and without WPS, on both asus and edimax AP, as well as direct to hub

NETFLIX: I see, I can totally understand what you mean and since my research team verified the information yesterday, they verified the information and said that the Kindle tablet that you currently have is supported for the HD streaming but is not reaching our servers properly to be able to stream in HD, this being the reason for the 480p, in this case it could be the set up on the modem rather than your ISP making a throttle no your internet connection, so I'll suggest you to contact them to verify the set up for the connection of the ports and to ensure that the modem is set up to ensure the best quality on the tablets to connect to the Internet and to reach our servers

More info, android netflix is in HD only if tablets are on an approved list. they have 2 contradictory lists. netflix help: search for Kindle: then fgo to using netlix on... Netflix in HD gets you to list 1

list 1 Netflix is available in HD on the Kindle Fire tablets below.

Amazon Fire HD 8" 2015 (KFMEWI)
Amazon Fire HD 10" 2015 (KFTBWI)
Amazon Fire HD 6" 2014 (KFARWI)
Amazon Fire HD 7" 2014 (KFASWI)
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" 2014 (KFSAWIS)

but help; search for android HD.. gets you to list 2 

list 2 Netflix is available in HD on the Android tablets below.
Note: Devices must run the latest firmware for HD playback to work properly.

Acer Predator 8 (GT-810)
Acer Iconia Tab 10 (A3-A30)
Amazon Fire HD 8" 2016 (KFGIWI)
Asus Zenpad S8 (P01MA, P01M)
Asus Zenpad 10 (P023, P021, P01T)
Asus ZenPad Z8 for Verizon (VZW_P008)...  

B thru Z 

see the contradiction,

I can but netflix can't. I am certain that list 2 is definitive and my HDX tablet is only onlist 1

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fire HDx tablet - will not stream netflix HD

PS my objective streaming rate test is the short test clip linked to in this article

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/netflix-streaming-test/

which links to http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70136810?trkid=439131, a clip which shows the streaming data, on android app

it proves I am only getting 480p where i used to be getting 1080p ( and I still get 1080p on other devices: tivo, smart TV, roku, Fire Stick... )

Netflix jumped on the admission that I had a new Hub3 a few weeks back but I think tha'ts co-incidence, there is nothing in hub3 that was not in hub 1 that could account for this, is there ?

I am on the verge of walking away form the Fire tablet problem & just buying an NVidia Shield K1 tablet instead for Netflix HD, but if Virgin ARE doing something iffy at CDN level, like losing the device identifiers, then I'd be sending that back as not working ?

desparately hoping someone reading this has an amazon fire  tablet & a netflix account so that we can compare notes

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

i just got this from Amazon - seems VM are not to blame.

bouncing that back at netflix...

Hello 

This is Daniel from Amazon Support.

I have signed into Netflix on three of the Kindle Fire models in question.

I can confirm that the Fire HDX will not stream in HD, however both models of the Kindle Fire 8'' will stream in HD.

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the links below to tell us about your experience today.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

a final outcome here:

when presented with the amazon email, Netflix re-tested and reproduced the issue, so they now accept that HD streaming to Fire HDX is broken and are undertaking to fix it ( no ETA though). I fed that back to amazon.

I then pondered some more, thinking, surely someone somewhere has hacked the netfllix app to override the HD approved whitelist. and sure enough I found one. It requires the android device to have widevine level 1 security , so it does not improve my Lenovo tab streaming at all ( that tablet only has widevine , level 3 ) .but the HDX running the hacked app quickly scales up to 5800 Kb 1080p streaming in the test clip

follow this link...

https://insider.razerzone.com/index.php?threads/test-patched-netflix-apk-tablet-with-probably-1080p-...

0 Kudos