Menu
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Fibre broadband advertising to be investigated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39490847

"Andrew Ferguson, co-founder of the ThinkBroadband website, said "clarity" on advertising would be welcome. "Then we can avoid adverts that promote fibre optic broadband but clearly show a coax cable with a metal core," he said."

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fibre broadband advertising to be investigated.

And about time too.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

"Policy papers spelling out the government's view made clear that fibre should be used only to describe services that rely on the faster cables from end to end, it said."

This has been on the mind of customers' of all ISPs for a long time. It's not fiber if the fiber stops at the exchange or cabinet a couple of miles+ away from you.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So do VM's new RFoG connections fall within this category. The installation is fibre right up to the customers front wall, but is then converted to coax so it can be used by VM's existing customer kit.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

how does BT's FTTP terminate at the property ?

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Same way VM's do, on an ONT.

This is fibre to the premise though. It doesn't stop being FTTP because it goes to your devices over something else, fibre does reach the premise.

This is years too late and a waste of time. VM should never have been allowed to advertise as fibre optic, and the Virgin Fibre adverts showing coaxial cable extract the urine, but they are following the rules.

If it happens it will confuse people. Dumb.
0 Kudos
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How about this 

VM always state fibre....

well its not...its HFC not KFC

End of story but they are the least to worry about compared to Bt the cowboys!

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

"Policy papers spelling out the government's view made clear that fibre should be used only to describe services that rely on the faster cables from end to end, it said."

This has been on the mind of customers' of all ISPs for a long time. It's not fiber if the fiber stops at the exchange or cabinet a couple of miles+ away from you.

At the moment, VM do not provide faster services over FTTP than they do over HFC.  The end to end speed is the same and will prolly remain so.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Its all well and good saying that but where is the end?
If i had fibre to my router and then 10gbps cat6 would that count. is the end the router or the pc?
And the same the other end. What point is it OK to call the end. the ISP router? Peering point? peering ISP router? data centre you connect to? or the server you are connecting to?

This is the whole OFCOM we will make rules but never enforce them because we didn;t make anything clear enough.
chutwutt
Superfast
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Who really cares what the name of the connection is customers are only bothered about speed and reliability

Majority of customers don't know what fttp or fttc or a b c means
0 Kudos