Menu
harberton_uk
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet Switch Wifi problems

I've installed an 8 port ethernet switch.  It works fine for those devices plugged in but its causing the wifi to drop.  Once I disconnect the switch, the wifi resumes.  It maybe be something simple but I'm not an expert.  Any help will be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
ash1122
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet Switch Wifi problems

8 port switch8 port switchHi i have a 8 port switch on my setup too but doesn't affect the wifi on the hub at all  ... the red cable you see in the pic on the switch is connected to port 1 of the virgin hub 3 router , the other cables are my devices hardwired , printers / extra pc's 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Super solver
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Only thing I can think of is the switch, if it’s an intelligent one, has an IP address that is clashing with your WiFi device or you have put you hub into modem mode. Please post make and model of switch and we will look up it’s manual. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
harberton_uk
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for the help

I have a tp-link easy smart switch

TL-SG105E/TL-SG108E

0 Kudos
FlashPan
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

According to tplink the default IP address (so you can enter the admin pages like the superhub) is 192.168.0.1.  In router mode this is the same as the Superrhub so this could be your conflict.

I'd advise disconnect the switch from your superhub, set a static ip address on your pc to something like 192.168.0.100, then try and access the tplink via your browser with 192.168.0.1 directly with a data cable

Check the tplink manuals as you will most likely need a username and password. (google them?).  When you are in the switch, change the ipaddress to something you would never use or get to like 192.168.0.250.

Or......

Download the tplink utility for your switch and follow this:

http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/Easy_Smart_Configuration_Utility_UG.pdf

Maybe easier, maybe not

0 Kudos
paul0363
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have the same switch. 

Set it to get an IP via DHCP and all should be well (my IPs are in the 10.x.x.x range as I needed to change the range to avoid a clash when using a VPN into work!). I've also set the router to always hand out the same IP to the switch.

Remember with this switch you have to apply the setting and then "Save Config" from the menu on the left otherwise the setting will be lost if the unit loses power

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos