Menu
Reply
Joining in
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Registered: 2 weeks ago
Message 1 of 5 (172 Views)

Electric shock!!

Hi, my broadband is down so i ran a test using my mobile data and the virgin site said it thought my equipment was turned off but to check all cables were plugged in tightly, I checked them and had an electric shock from the white coaxial type cable running into my hub 3, had anyone else experienced this? Many thanks, Nick
Reply
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Fibre optic
  • 338
  • 17
  • 126
Registered: ‎31-07-2015
Message 2 of 5 (326 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Nick47
2 weeks ago

Re: Electric shock!!

[ Edited ]

You should have the isolator wall socket for coax cable. Superhub is also isolated (I believe its not using plug with ground connection).

Making electronics "floating" (isolated from earth) could it actually build up static electricity - but this is completely harmless since it only could build small charge enough to feel a tingle/spark for fraction of second.

 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Reply
0 Kudos

All Replies
Fibre optic
  • 338
  • 17
  • 126
Registered: ‎31-07-2015
Message 2 of 5 (327 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Nick47
2 weeks ago

Re: Electric shock!!

[ Edited ]

You should have the isolator wall socket for coax cable. Superhub is also isolated (I believe its not using plug with ground connection).

Making electronics "floating" (isolated from earth) could it actually build up static electricity - but this is completely harmless since it only could build small charge enough to feel a tingle/spark for fraction of second.

 

Reply
0 Kudos
Joining in
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Registered: 2 weeks ago
Message 3 of 5 (157 Views)

Re: Electric shock!!

Many thanks for your reply,
I'm not too sure what's grounded and what's not with our hub 3 although it definitely wasn't static, it's a continuous shock when touching it, too much to keep my finger on!! Had just bitten my nail so my finger was slightly wet!! We live in a 1930's house so maybe should have the earthing checked. We are having high winds at the moment and the broadband is down so didn't know it was a technical problem sending electricity out this way or not, not really up on my electronics!!
Reply
0 Kudos
Fibre optic
  • 338
  • 17
  • 126
Registered: ‎31-07-2015
Message 4 of 5 (150 Views)

Re: Electric shock!!

Well, I am pretty sure Hub does not have earthed plug - so how (bad) is earthing in your house is will not matter. Just check its plug - middle long earth contact will be completely plastic.

So if you are getting continuous current this means that there is failure (or lack of) isolator on your coax wall plug - because if that isolator would be working, there will be not possible for continuous current to flow.

 

Reply
0 Kudos
Joining in
  • 3
  • 0
  • 0
Registered: 2 weeks ago
Message 5 of 5 (119 Views)

Re: Electric shock!!

Thanks again for your reply, I'll have a look at the the plug and if there is no earth I'll call Virgin who will hopefully be able to look at the coax wall plug to make sure there is in fact an isolator on it.. All seems fine this morning and the Internet is back but I haven't checked for the electric shock, it's a bit too early!!!
Reply
0 Kudos