Menu
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 71 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Re: Docsis 3.1 deployment and Hub 4 - end of 2017 and 2018

tekmobile wrote:

Guybrush85 wrote:

Well this went west lol. When it's all said and done, the specifics of the Hub 4 are yet to be determined, but it's going to be a router.

Hope this time they don't go with that horrible white though! I have mine hidden away like a dirty little secret behind a cabinet (it's in modem mode before someone tells me about the positioning of a router Smiley Tongue)

Luckily mines the black one

Although judging by the comments a pure modem is highly sought after we all know it wont happen though.
Just as long as the HUB4 has working modem mode and not using a broken chipset ill be happy 

Yeah, if it wasn't for mine being hidden away, I would have pushed to get a black one when they started to surface. 

As for highly sought after... I wouldn't go that far. I think there's a pool of people in the forums and we can assume outside of them, but in the grand scheme of it, it's probably few and far between, so I can see why they get an all in one device to keep both camps happy... Well, happy(ish) Smiley Tongue

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 72 of 89
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Ignition wrote:

I've had more than a few drinks so am likely more amenable to requests for information I'd usually decline. What would you like to know?

If it's the meaning of life: 42.

Here's a good question if you're not sober yet: how do you calculate the bandwidth of an OFDM channel given a specific SNR.. AND all the factors that affect it?

I've been reading up on the intricacies of OFDM and it's quite complex with a lot of factors. 

You mean the bandwidth of a specific carrier within the channel? Calculate its symbol rate which will be a function of channel width in Hz, less guard band, then calculate the bits per symbol that can be used. This is a proprietary thing but as a baseline with the newer error correction schemes, pre-error correction to 4k QAM, 12 bits per symbol, at 43 dB SNR. 12 x symbol rate = bandwidth.

I'm afraid it's impossible to be any more specific as error correction on 3.1 is very good, different settings can make a lot of difference to spectral efficiency and density, carrier widths can be varied according to configuration, and bit loading per carrier can change constantly.

I very much hope whatever device VM do choose doesn't show pre-error correction error count, as the OFDM carriers are VERY dependent on the error correction as the whole point is to eke every last bit of performance out of each carrier and it's really good, way better than the legacy Reed-Solomon scheme. People complaining on here about corrected errors should receive very short shrift indeed.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 73 of 89
Flag for a moderator

JitteryPinger wrote:

That closed mind of yours bashing the keyboard again... Smiley Wink

You aren't getting to buy your own modem. It's required in the United States for legal reasons, stemming from the heritage of the cable plant as a replacement for the OTA TV we and many other places take for granted. Everywhere else, with the exception of Canada I believe, it's vanishingly rare.

No closed-mindedness here, just an acceptance of reality. It's not happening.

It is worth mentioning that there is no such thing as a 'full on' cable modem. They are all routers running in bridge mode. None of them are simple media converters that take in cable signals and convert them to Ethernet for delivery to whatever is behind them. A hub in bridge mode is functionally identical to a stand-alone modem.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 74 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

jhuk wrote:

Thread is becoming like a broken record TBH...

If you are not happy leave and get a modem on the ADSL which I doubt is that slow today unless in the sticks.

... and it's going off topic.  I'm fairly sure the DOCSIS 3.1 Gateway they'll put out will have 32 downstream channels and I forget how many upstream certainly well over 4.  If I recall correctly, it won't have an Intel Puma chip set.

Not only will it have 32 downstream channels it has to. There are no 3.1 chipsets that don't have full 32 x 8 SC-QAM capability, as they are full band capture devices.

3.1 modems actually make superb spectrum analysers as the more advanced signal processing and reporting are required for 3.1 to work Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 75 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Ignition wrote:

JitteryPinger wrote:

That closed mind of yours bashing the keyboard again... Smiley Wink

You aren't getting to buy your own modem. It's required in the United States for legal reasons, stemming from the heritage of the cable plant as a replacement for the OTA TV we and many other places take for granted. Everywhere else, with the exception of Canada I believe, it's vanishingly rare.

No closed-mindedness here, just an acceptance of reality. It's not happening.

It is worth mentioning that there is no such thing as a 'full on' cable modem. They are all routers running in bridge mode. None of them are simple media converters that take in cable signals and convert them to Ethernet for delivery to whatever is behind them. A hub in bridge mode is functionally identical to a stand-alone modem.

I'm well aware of this, the comment regarded basically being told to hush as I wasn't talking conforming exactly to the title of the thread.... 

As far a modems go, I'm aware they're just re-configured routers in a way but just want something smaller and that can be discreetly stored, the hubs are none of those things.

Anyway it don't matter, I've had enough of many things including this ISP I've been unhappy with for many years and not just am I leaving the ISP but leaving the coverage area too.

Just waiting for 3rd complaint of the month to be resolved and closed.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 76 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Probably the best way to go given this thread.
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 77 of 89
Flag for a moderator

This hasn't aged well. The plan is to sweat 3.0 for longer and delay 3.1.

Most areas are still on 2 bonded upstreams. VM have shown little interest in changing this.

Some areas don't have 350 available yet. VM aren't exactly falling over themselves to remedy this.

http://www.lightreading.com/cable/docsis/docsis-31-and-fiber-deep-top-cables-list/d/d-id/732251

Apparently Liberty are deploying fibre deep while in the UK new HFC builds aren't fibre deep or even close, they are the same 500 homes per node build as a decade ago.

VM's strategy remains to be content to sit on their laurel cushioned behinds and hope no-one else competes with them and forces their hand.

VM's cable is less consistent than the competition, the connection less stable and, in the case of this new build area slower than the competition. The only way to remedy this is investment and until VM lose their 'fastest widely available' tag, which isn't long, the incentive to invest is minimal.

I imagine many of us naively thought VM would be the jewel in the Liberty crown while it's ended up more of a cash cow and tax reduction vehicle.
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 78 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Think someone read my whining. Have 4 upstreams as of 20 minutes ago.

JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 79 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Still same old 2 16QAM congestion filled channels round this neck of the woods...

On a possitive note I'm looking forward to moving to a land with DOCSIS 3.1 ready and rocking at upto a gigabit per second.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 80 of 89
Flag for a moderator

3.0 is pretty capable.

Though of course 3.1 is a step beyond.

0 Kudos