Menu
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 51 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Re: Docsis 3.1 deployment and Hub 4 - end of 2017 and 2018

Well that's why you would have a compatible modems list....

However it is extra work, not a thing Virgin will be in support of creating
0 Kudos
Guybrush85
Fibre optic
Message 52 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi wrote:

MUD_Wizard wrote:

ILuvNips wrote:

Is there or would there be a massive difference between the current routers that can be set to modem mode and having a device which is only capable of modem mode?

No difference at all.

Muddy,

Not wanting to fall out or anything but .......

I would have thought a simple modem would be more simplistic in terms of both hardware and firmware.?  

Anyway, I would love VM to go back a few years (or more than a few) and allow users to buy their own modems, even if it was from a small set of approved models.   Smiley Happy

There are differences of course, it could be smaller, yes the firmware will differ etc, but functionally (which I assume the original question was aiming in the direction of), there should be no difference and what I can safely say Muds reply will be meaning.

JitteryPinger wrote:
Well that's why you would have a compatible modems list....

However it is extra work, not a thing Virgin will be in support of creating

At the end of the day, we know it can work as it's done in the states, but as there's no political push for this (like I believe there was in the States), then it's at VM's prerogative and I can't blame them for wanting to keep it to only their equipment. If you think about it this way, Apple has been doing that from day 1 and they seem to be doing ok Smiley LOL

--------------------------------------------------------
Look behind you, a three-headed monkey
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 53 of 89
Flag for a moderator

jhuk wrote:

NTL/CableTel/Telewest now VM never let anyone use their own hardware outside of dial up.

Too many variables if someone calls up with a fault, is it their end or the ISP's end?

Many, many years ago, NTL did let you buy your own modem, providing it was on the approved list.

That list consisted of 1 modem .....  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 54 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Adduxi wrote:

MUD_Wizard wrote:

ILuvNips wrote:

Is there or would there be a massive difference between the current routers that can be set to modem mode and having a device which is only capable of modem mode?

No difference at all.

Muddy,

Not wanting to fall out or anything but .......

I would have thought a simple modem would be more simplistic in terms of both hardware and firmware.?  

The only aspect that would be removed in a pure modem would be the wifi circuitry and any software pertaining to wifi, which is a very small proportion of the overall hardware/firmware in a hub. Would your computer be much more simplistic if you remove the wifi card and uninstall the wifi drivers?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 55 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Technically no difference between modem mode and a modem this I understand, however my biggest issue with the hubs as modems is the size and the inabaility to really tuck it away...

For example, Openreach's FTTC/P modems are wall mountable and easy to hide away, however every Super Hub since the first DOCSIS 2.0 Hub hasn't been wall mountable or low profile..

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 56 of 89
Flag for a moderator

The hubs have to have a vertical form factor in order to propagate wireless. One side of the board would have 2.4GHz (currently 2 antennae) and the other would have 5 GHz (currently 3 antennae) - all at the top of the unit. I suppose they'd work just as well if they were made to a horizontal form factor and a different antenna distribution.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 57 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
The hubs have to have a vertical form factor in order to propagate wireless. One side of the board would have 2.4GHz (currently 2 antennae) and the other would have 5 GHz (currently 3 antennae) - all at the top of the unit. I suppose they'd work just as well if they were made to a horizontal form factor and a different antenna distribution.

Or had an external antenna

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 58 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Or no antennae at all !
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 59 of 89
Flag for a moderator

tekmobile wrote:

Sephiroth wrote:

Or had an external antenna

... and then there'll be a whole brigade complaining about the increased vertical space required; a whole bunch of people whose babies or cats had broken the antennae and the environmental brigade complaining of death risk by wireless rays!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Up to speed
Message 60 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:

... and then there'll be a whole brigade complaining about the increased vertical space required; a whole bunch of people whose babies or cats had broken the antennae and the environmental brigade complaining of death risk by wireless rays!

By that logic, some customers are considered more important than other.

Need a modem end off.

Simply Little Square Box (NO curves/angles "It's not a crime") 

0 Kudos