Menu
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 11 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Re: Docsis 3.1 deployment and Hub 4 - end of 2017 and 2018

markscottuk wrote:

You are surely looking at 802.11AD or wi-gig for this modem.   Interestingly, with the 3rd party wireless market starting to mature (Google Wi-Fi, Unifi etc), maybe a Modem only model would be beneficial, especially to those who are more advanced users who will have their own wifi and edge routers / firewalls deployed.

Or a simple statement that to achieve the tier's speeds will require a wired connection, much as there is on the various gigabit tiers available over FTTP and 3.0/3.1 now - see https://www.comhem.se/bredband/bredband-1000 for example.

Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 12 of 89
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/liberty-global-eyes-q4-docsis-31-service-launch/411673

That matches up with what I've been hearing. If you notice, also, there are relief dates for congestion well into the future.

Perhaps far enough away for VM to offload some high-end, heavy users onto a 3.1 overlay?

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 89
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Unfortunately, we're unlikely to get much of a new higher tier as all the channels haven't been maxed out on the Hub 3 yet.

Of course VM could be at the start (Sept 2017 onwards) or the end (Sept 2018 onwards) of that roll-out.

VM will be seeing pilot deployments of 3.1 this year.

In places there are nodes with all 24 channels lit, I should make clear that the current VM platform can't deliver more than 24 channels in a single group so they can't spin up 32 and load balance, that are still experiencing capacity issues or will be in the not too distant. Selective deployment of 3.1 is a viable capacity relief option for these and will relieve the need for node splits.

Longer term VM do have to pursue a strategy of adding more 3.0 channels in areas that aren't maxed out, delivering 3.1 to relieve 3.0 of the heavier users, splitting nodes and upgrading HFC plant where there are RF capacity issues preventing addition of more 3.0 channels and a 3.1 OFDM block. Those are presented in order of cost.

There are some issues that I won't go into in public with regards to capacity planning. Liberty Global need to get their heads around that one size does not fit all and UK and Ireland customers have usage patterns and expectations that don't match those in Hungary or Romania.

legacy1
Hero
Message 14 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Ignition wrote:

tekmobile wrote:
I vote for modem only and hope your predictions are true

I'm afraid that as things stand now you're in for disappointment if you're hoping for a modem rather than a gateway.

Is that your way of say their be no modem mode? if so I want real DMZ.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 15 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Didn't say anything about modem mode at all, just that the device is extremely unlikely to be a stand alone modem rather than a gateway.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 16 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Ignition wrote:

Didn't say anything about modem mode at all, just that the device is extremely unlikely to be a stand alone modem rather than a gateway.

But your not saying it will have modem mode.

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 17 of 89
Flag for a moderator

It's pretty much expected these days to be given a router and I wouldn't expect any kind of modem from VM would just be nice to have the option as long as the router has a modem mode that works just as good as a standalone modem then this really does fill the gap for those wanting one

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
itinfocus
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 89
Flag for a moderator

Having looked at the linked PDF for the TG3442 I sincerely hope that this is not the unit that ultimately becomes the next Hub 3.1 / 4

From the spec listing:

Multi Processor Technology with ARM and ATOM based Application Processor

So basically saying that this is a DOCSIS 3.1 Intel Puma 7

From the limited amount of testing that has occurred with Puma 7 devices they look to have inherited a lot of the ongoing issues from the Puma 6 based Hub 3.0.

Also if they are looking at a phased roll out with only high bandwidth customers being connected. To begin with a modem only deployment may even be the sensible way to go. Modem only must be cheaper and top tier customers are more likely to already be running there own router / firewall.

The Phase 2 roll out to the masses, when the end point hardware has reduced in price, could then use the full gateway hardware.

As long as modem mode is an option I don't really mind. But please, please, please NOT Intel again. Testing on 3.1 Broadcom units have shown them to perform significantly better.

Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 19 of 89
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:

Ignition wrote:

*You're

Neither am I saying it won't because I don't know. All I said was that it would be extremely unlikely to be a stand alone modem. Nothing more or less.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 89
Flag for a moderator

legacy1 wrote:

Ignition wrote:

Tell me which of these Virgin Hubs did NOT have modem mode? SH1, SH2, SH2ac, Hub3? I rest my case.

0 Kudos