Menu
andywoodrow
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

DNS servers delay in refreshing

I've made some nameserver changes on a web domain and DNS has been updated successfully, however, when trying to browse the URL at home my virgin cable network, it still points to the old hosting.  If i turn off wifi and hit 4G, I get the new hosting perfectly fine, so my question is, how long does it take for Virgin DNS servers to replicate or does anyone know if there could be a problem?  Looks like it's a regular thing with Virgin?!  Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS servers delay in refreshing

Why would you still be using Virgin Media's DNS servers, they are a joke.   Use Google DNS or OpenDNS instead.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

andywoodrow wrote:

how long does it take for Virgin DNS servers to replicate 

Up to 72 hours

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Its takes as long as the TTL in VM DNS cache which VM may extend which seems unlikely.

Also windows has a DNS cache which you can disable in Services so DNS will be direct from the apps.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

Why would you still be using Virgin Media's DNS servers, they are a joke.  ...

Because folks with a virgin hub in router mode, and no IT skills, have no control over?

( I agree with you, I use open dns on all devices;  just saying it's not something your average grannie would know how to bypass.

i don't know of any 1 click app which runs on all of windows, apple, android... & which can be trusted to automate the change

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, fair comment cybmole.  It really should be made so much easier to change such a fundamental setting.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It really depends on what TTL you set on the original record and when Virgin last downloaded the record from your DNS server.

Lets say you have a typical TTL of 86400 - (24 hours) - This means that if Virgin queries the master records it will cache the entry for 24 hours, and once that period has expired - will look up the record again, at which point it will pick up any changes.

If you are expecting to change a DNS record it's best to plan ahead and actually reduce the TTL a few days before the change, then once the change is done you can increase it back to 24 hours again.

Most registrars quote 48-72 hours for changes to be propagated across the net as a whole, because of DNS caching.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I did find a dns changer utility one time when I was frequently using netflix proxies, but I never actually trusted it enough to use it  -  I felt safer with manual changes -  and though it claimed to be one-click it had to be carefully configured in advance. 

I expect any such utility would need admin privileges to run in windows ?, I am not sure if a standard user account is even allowed to edit network adapter properties

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

Most registrars quote 48-72 hours for changes to be propagated across the net as a whole, because of DNS caching.

will normally be less then that. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, I'm sure I've seen up to 72 hours quoted previously.  Although certainly 123 reg now says 24-48 hours.  But depending on the last time the Virgin server cached the entry it is often much sooner.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos