Menu
Highlighted
Jacko53
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

DNS server not responding

Received new modem on Tuesday (Hub 3.0). Mobile phones and tablets have no problem with it but my Windows 10 laptop has. I get downloads speeds varying from 70mps to 0.5mps when I run speed tests. In certain parts of the house I get no signal whatsoever. When I connect to my mobile phones hotspot everything is fine. Ran the usual Windows trouble shooter an was told that "the computer appears to be correctly configured but, the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding".

Phoned 150 and was told the problem was at my end. Now approaching my wits end! Can anyone offer me some advice please?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: DNS server not responding

Run cmd
nslookup bbc.co.uk
and
nslookup bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8

All Replies
legacy1
Hero
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Run cmd
nslookup bbc.co.uk
and
nslookup bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8

Jacko53
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ran cmd. Got addresses and each timed out 2 seconds. Used addresses to manually configure DNS settings. Worked OK for about a minute the same message DNS server not responding.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What did you manually configure DNS to be?

Try the following:

0 Kudos
Jacko53
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Settings 194:168:4:123 and 8:8:8:8.

Your settings worked for about a minute.

Getting download speed of 0.5 Mbps, upload 4.9 Mbps and response time of 278 ms. Now starting to lose internet connection again.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

DNS setting likely work its just that your connection is bad by the looks of it.

are you testing by wire?

Post you downstream and upstream from the hub

0 Kudos
Jacko53
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No - wifi. USB Ethernet adaptor ordered from Amazon. Will arrive Monday, so will test further then. My laptop has no  Ethernet port.

Thanks for your help so far. It is actually working OK at present - very frustrating.

0 Kudos
whitehoose
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How many devices have you tried?

I have a similar thing happening with my samsung telly - none of my other kit has misbehaved.  Telly said Connected but no internet access if I used the hub address as DNS. 

Anyhow while looking round it seems - the new hub3s only get to use 1 single dns server it's 194.168.4.100 (on my box).

I generally use fixed IP - my DNS1 points to the hub and DNS2 is usually pointing to 8.8.8.8 - just in case.

I re-entered my settings - but used DNS1 as 194.168.8.123 and all worked OK.

On monday got a new firmware update for the telly but the old settings now work OK - so I can't give you better reason that it's OK.  either virgin have fixed their DNS - or samsung fixed their settings.

It's been a bit frantic - so I didn't have time to pursue the problem.  now it could be anything that fixed it

0 Kudos
Jacko53
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Samsung Blu-ray is hard wired, so no problem.

Chromecast, Amazon Firestick,  2 Samsung tablets, Amazon Fire tablet, Kindle and two mobile phones - all work fine.

Acer laptop seems to have sorted itself - so fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
jitu121
Settling in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Here is how to fix DNS Server Not Responding in windows 10 Open the Network and Sharing center. For that navigate to control panel->Network and Internet->Network and Sharing Center.

Now choose adapter settings from the side menu.

This will give you a list of the available network adapters in the system . From them right click on the adapter you are using to connect to the internet now and choose properties option.

Now in the networking tab choose ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’.

Now you can see the properties dialogue box showing the properties of IPV4. Here you need to change some properties. Select ‘use the following DNS address’ option. Now fill the following fields as given here.

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS server :208.67.220.220

Source:- http://merabheja.com/dns-server-not-responding-in-windows-10/

0 Kudos