Menu
slpbb
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can a c. 3 year old cable be used for the current 300mbps services ?

We had a Virgin cable installed at our property by a previous owner a few years ago.

Its the Siamese (2 cables joined together, 1 telephone, 1 some sort of coax) black external cable. 

Now we want to change from our BT connection to a Virgin fibre connection we are looking at the 300mbps package, is that available using the existing cable or do the faster packages require new cabling to be installed ? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can a c. 3 year old cable be used for the current 300mbps services ?

The VM cabling in place will work fine.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Our cable was installed 16 years ago... still going strong.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

just to add the cabling is all the same since it was way back in the days of ntl/telewest and all the franchise companies
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:
just to add the cabling is all the same since it was way back in the days of ntl/telewest and all the franchise companies

Installers told me the cable VM use now has better shielding and a more UV / weather resistant outer coating ... but what do they know.    Smiley LOL

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

slpbb wrote:

We had a Virgin cable installed at our property by a previous owner a few years ago.

Its the Siamese (2 cables joined together, 1 telephone, 1 some sort of coax) black external cable. 

Now we want to change from our BT connection to a Virgin fibre connection we are looking at the 300mbps package, is that available using the existing cable or do the faster packages require new cabling to be installed ? 

Whether cables from a previous installation are in place or not, and whether they suitable for current use or not is surely irrelevant? 

You will be paying/charged for a for a full installation and should expect the same. If the installation uses existing cables then you should expect an appropriate reduction in installation charges as much of the installation works will have already been done.

Or have I missed something? Like profiteering?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sololobo wrote:

Whether cables from a previous installation are in place or not, and whether they suitable for current use or not is surely irrelevant? 

You will be paying/charged for a for a full installation and should expect the same. If the installation uses existing cables then you should expect an appropriate reduction in installation charges as much of the installation works will have already been done.

Or have I missed something? Like profiteering?

Its a flat rate installation fee (£49) whatever amount of work needs doing. So if you need a two man re-pull or need a construction team & permits for the road digging up outside (which runs into thousands of pounds for Virgin) it will still cost the customer the same.

If you have an awkward non-standard Sky satellite installation, Sky won't hesitate to charge you extra on top of the standard install fee.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile