Menu
tadpies
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Can a 2nd super hub 3 be set up as a wireless extender for an existing super hub 3?

Can someone provide instructions on how to configure a second vm super hub 3 to function as a wireless extender for an existing vm super hub 3? The two would be connected via a cat6 Ethernet cable?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can a 2nd super hub 3 be set up as a wireless extender for an existing super hub 3?

Turn off the DHCP on the one not connected to the coax cable and then Ethernet cable the two together, that's what I did when experimenting with that sort of setup.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can a 2nd super hub 3 be set up as a wireless extender for an existing super hub 3?

Turn off the DHCP on the one not connected to the coax cable and then Ethernet cable the two together, that's what I did when experimenting with that sort of setup.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Stythinator
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Perfect advice there!

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Since it sounds like they will both be used for Wi-Fi I think they need to be on different wireless channels.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

do virgin even supply two hub3 for 1 customer account ?

if so, what do they charge for the 2nd one ?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

do virgin even supply two hub3 for 1 customer account ?

if so, what do they charge for the 2nd one ?

I very much doubt it.   Perhaps he / she has acquired a hooky one from ebay.   Smiley Wink   Used as an extender it won't need to be authorised by VM.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
tadpies
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Its a long story: we moved to a temporary address for a few months. It was from a DOCSIS® 3 area to a non DOCSIS® 3 area, so the hub needed replacing. When we moved back they didn't take the old hub and fitted the new DOCSIS® 3 one. End result: two super hub 3s - one black and one white.
0 Kudos
tadpies
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Nope, it was the result of moving house - they simply didn't take the older router - one is DOCSIS® 3 and the other isn't. One is balck and one is white. Both are are super hub 3.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

tadpies wrote:

Nope, it was the result of moving house - they simply didn't take the older router - one is DOCSIS® 3 and the other isn't. One is balck and one is white. Both are are super hub 3.

They're both DOCSIS 3.  But because one is no longer linked to an account it won't be authorised to connect to the CMTS.  However you would do well to ask for a box to send the old one back.  As you may end up being billed for it's non return should VM's systems catch up with you.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

...  However you would do well to ask for a box to send the old one back.  As you may end up being billed for it's non return should VM's systems catch up with you.

Ravenstar68

Hmm,  but hubs are free, like email is and like webspace was, so how would they set a monthly usage rate ?

given the number of posters still waiting for their returns boxes after many posts, many calls ,many "it's in the post" promises, I'd not bother & not worry.

....still waiting on the packaging for my pre-hub era cable modem which they were going to take back , circa 2008 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos