Menu
JCrock
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Call from BT Technical Support

I have just had a call from "Kevin" in India claiming to be from BT technical support. He says that Virgin broadband still uses BTconnections and these have been compromised by a security breach that will compromise my laptop and bring my broadband down if I do not follow his instructions.

I told him where to go but just wanted to check that.

a.  does Virgin broadband still rely on BT for part of the connection?

b.  are there any security issues at moment?

c  has anyone else had these calls?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Call from BT Technical Support

a.  does Virgin broadband still rely on BT for part of the connection? No

b.  are there any security issues at moment? No

c  has anyone else had these calls? Probably, there's a lot of phishing scams about

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You should have ordered a Chicken Korma delivery.    Smiley Wink

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Had a load of these calls a few weeks ago. Last one I had I thought I'd have a bit of fun and played along.

He spent ages telling me do this and that and eventually to go to a website to download a file (remote desktop thing), must have been on a good 20 minutes by now. Told him my browser said no network connection available. So he went through it all again, then I said "Sorry, it's still not working, does my router need to be turned on to do this?" He started again, but I'd got bored by then, so I told him I knew exactly what he was up to and called him a few choice names at which point he hung up. Kept me amused for a bit and wasted his time.

I have a BT line, my number is ex directory and it has only ever been given to close friends. How did they get it? Telecoms companies have Indian call centres, he called from India. Makes you wonder how secure your information is when you deal with these call centres.

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They simply randomly call blocks of numbers in the UK which can include ex-directory,  ... your's just happened to come up.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Dave_cq wrote:

They simply randomly call blocks of numbers in the UK which can include ex-directory,  ... your's just happened to come up.

Yeah, we've had them call in to my work - they worked their way through the whole building as they did the block of numbers incrementing by one each time - that was a fun 30 minutes or so as each person took turns to answer their phone extension and was challenged to give ever more humorous responses to the scammers!

Keith

Signature 16-12-24 (forum size).png

Tudor
Well-informed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

They just feed a root number into a dialer carousel that when it gets no answer just hops to the next number.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
StripeyMiata
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Think back to how the converstation started, I think he adapted his scam on the fly.

I'm guessing they start of by saying they are "Kevin from BT" as BT are the dominant ISP in the UK, when you replied you are not with BT, then he adaped his opening gambit to what you heard.  In a simular vein, they rang up a friend of mine on VM, daughter picked up and they said they were from BT.  When daughter handed phone to Dad,  Dad said he was with VM and the said daughter misheard them and said they were actually from VM.

Usually they just laugh and hang up as they know they have been rumbled.

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My [insert 1980's computer here] can't connect to the internet....  It did the other day.  I can't plug my 8 bit data bus (in my case it's a printer interfaceRobot LOL) into the router....

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes - I'm so glad you called. Someone did indeed crash into my car causing serious damage and causing me a whiplash injury. So please help me deal with this.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos