Menu
ceeK25
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cable TV duct in flats but no cabling - install likely?

Hey,

I've recently moved into a new flat where the Virgin Media online checker says it's not possible to install. After probing further, the reason is that this is a new block of flats. I cancelled my Virgin Media subscription from my last property because of this reason.

I've just moved in and have noticed that right next to the "BT Duct" in the central hallway, there's a Cable T.V duct with a long blue rope coming out of it (see photo). It looks like all the cable ducting is already in place, with a blue pull rope (I think). I have the landlord's permission to install Virgin Media and I would like to put it in.

How likely is it that Virgin can just thread their cables through this duct?

cable.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable TV duct in flats but no cabling - install likely?

It may not be as simple as just pulling a cable. This will be a communal access, so network kit will have to be installed in the building. This would comprise a telephone distribution board & a powered distribution amp for the BB/TV services.

Hopefully one of the staff forum team will be able to follow this up for you.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

ceeK25
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd. I've phoned up VM mentioning the Cable TV duct, and they're sending an engineer to scope out the street to see if there's a duct in place on their end. 

I'm hoping it's not such a big deal to install the network kit; the landlord who owns the entire building has given permission but I'm unsure on the internal wirings of the building. It was renovated from office space 2 years ago. It would seem odd to me to install the cable ducting without the necessary requirements to install cable to the flats.

Otherwise I'll be moving from 150mbps VM to 5.5 - 11mbps BT (no FTTC in my cabinet yet)! 

0 Kudos
ceeK25
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I did a bit more digging and I'd like some opinions.

So there are 3 blank faceplates around the flat that are right next to TV/FM/SAT1/SAT2 faceplates. I unscrewed them today and noticed that in all of them exists coaxial cable without a fitted end (you can see the insulation). I'm assuming that the intention of this was VM, given that SAT / TV / radio are already taken care of.

If this is the case, how would VM, assuming they're willing to fit the network kit, connect to this coaxial? The comms cupboard has loads of switches like these with black coax cables flowing into the walls. Would these work? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The connections you describe in the flats are standard communal fittings. Under normal circumstances VM would patch into these cables at the main distribution point. The problem is that the standard of cabling required to distribute VM exceeds that of normal satellite cables. These & the amplification systems must be immune to ingress from terrestrial TV & DAB radio as it uses the same frequencies as are used for VM's TV & BB.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos