Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Business vs residential deals

Is there anywhere a simple list of pros, cons, differences between vivid 200, and the basic business voom package at £30per month. Ex vat i assume

.I see different router, faster Downoad, slower upload, some vague claim of line rental included in the £30, that looks too good to be true?

From a consumer perspective for broadband with phone,  and, ignoring tv options,

is the Hilton router better than the hub3

, is 7mb upload plenty if you don't game or live stream,

are any features that we take for granted as consumers not there in the basic business package....

Virgin don't do any side by side comparisons that I can find, the deals are marketed separately...

Do you have to be an actual business to get the business deals or is it like buying a business pc, anyone can have one ?

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business vs residential deals

The Hilton router uses the same broken chipset as the HUB3 so network performance wise I would expect them to be the same

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Is there anywhere a simple list of pros, cons, differences between vivid 200, and the basic business voom package at £30per month. Ex vat i assume

Comparison between business and residential questions answered here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Business-vs-Residential-Broadband/m-p/3418140#M3155...

.I see different router, faster Downoad, slower upload, some vague claim of line rental included in the £30, that looks too good to be true?

From a consumer perspective for broadband with phone,  and, ignoring tv options,

is the Hilton router better than the hub3

About the same. Different GUI though, see video in link above.

, is 7mb upload plenty if you don't game or live stream,

I use 50Mb with 3Mb upload fine for browsing, streaming (like Netflix I mean) and gaming on residential.

are any features that we take for granted as consumers not there in the basic business package....

Like?

Virgin don't do any side by side comparisons that I can find, the deals are marketed separately...

Do you have to be an actual business to get the business deals or is it like buying a business pc, anyone can have one ?

No, I don't think so.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

tekmobile wrote:
The Hilton router uses the same broken chipset as the HUB3 so network performance wise I would expect them to be the same

that's a significant fact thanks -  one tick in the why bother column.

is wifi also " about the same "- 3 internal antenna, same size box....

and, I don't need this , but does it have the same broken mac filtering/parental controls as the hub 3

there's no forum section for the HIltron where i can go read other folks woes ?

i am not entirely clear on the modem mode limitations - is it that you can't have modem mode at all or that you cant have modem mode AND the static IP option

so: tloving on : hought experiment- my some miracle I manage to migrate from vivid 200 contract with no penalty  & get my phone deal and phone number moved over..

I assume that for £50 its not a self install - a nice man comes along & puts in the hiltron router& phones in the activation, using same omni box - same cable into house as the hub 3 is using ?

1. does that router then sit there for an hour or more getting ready to start after he's gone, like the hub 3 did

2. once it starts, apart from having to negotiate a new Gui , which surely will be no worse than the hub3 one,  should everything else just work and be as it was, once i set wifi SSID and passwords

3. costs: each of the business packages are 24 month rates and contracts. but can those prices still go up at any time during the 24 months, and could they go up alarmingly in month 25 

4, the uploads are 7 or 15 for deal 1, deal 2, white do i have now on vivid 200 - 20?

5.sales support:  I dont think I would plunge unto this just yet, but is there an actual business contact me email who  explain all of moving mid contract, & replacing phone deal. if asked.. I am assuming I still get caller ID, losing that would be a show stopper

6. if support is needed do you still ring 150 & navigate india or are help calls routed to a UK support centre even outside of 9 - 5

ps I'd found the link already

Comparison between business and residential questions answered herehttp://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Business-vs-Residential-Broadband/m-p/3418140#M3155...

but its not actually a residential v business comparison, it just compares the different voom packages with each other

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

tekmobile wrote:

that's a significant fact thanks -  one tick in the why bother column.

is wifi also " about the same "- 3 internal antenna, same size box....

The Hitron box is a little bit bigger and black. 3x3 2.4ghz and 5ghz with different chipset.

Specification: https://www.upc.ro/pdf/manuale/internet/hitron_CGNV4_datasheet.pdf

and, I don't need this , but does it have the same broken mac filtering/parental controls as the hub 3

Different firmware, so different bugs. Different GUI. You'll have to check yourself because I don't use mac filtering or parental controls on the Hitron.

there's no forum section for the HIltron where i can go read other folks woes ?

I've answered quite a few questions on the Hitron in the past, though some of the answers may be out of date with the advent of the recently updated firmware which improves stability and adds modem mode.

i am not entirely clear on the modem mode limitations - is it that you can't have modem mode at all or that you cant have modem mode AND the static IP option

You can have modem mode: https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help/s/article/ka6b0000000Xpl9AAC/Hitron-Dynamic-Modem-only-Mo...

You can use modem mode with static IP, but the static IP goes on the device you connect to the Hitron (as NAT and DHCP are turned off), like a 3rd party router. Any additional static IP's in a group would need to be assigned by the 3rd party router, by a MULTI-NAT feature of your router.

so: tloving on : hought experiment- my some miracle I manage to migrate from vivid 200 contract with no penalty  & get my phone deal and phone number moved over..

I assume that for £50 its not a self install - a nice man comes along & puts in the hiltron router& phones in the activation, using same omni box - same cable into house as the hub 3 is using ?

Correct. The Hub uses a GRE tunnel so they have to set that up.

1. does that router then sit there for an hour or more getting ready to start after he's gone, like the hub 3 did

Nope. He ran a speed test from his laptop once it was setup.

2. once it starts, apart from having to negotiate a new Gui , which surely will be no worse than the hub3 one,  should everything else just work and be as it was, once i set wifi SSID and passwords

Yes and no. If you asked for static IP's rather than dynamic then it'll be very different from a residential setup and you'll NEED a 3rd party router. Remember there's a GRE tunnel involved if you ever factory reset the hub.

3. costs: each of the business packages are 24 month rates and contracts. but can those prices still go up at any time during the 24 months, and could they go up alarmingly in month 25 

No idea. I don't pay for mine (trial since Feb 2016).

4, the uploads are 7 or 15 for deal 1, deal 2, white do i have now on vivid 200 - 20?

See "bolt ons" for option 2.

5.sales support:  I dont think I would plunge unto this just yet, but is there an actual business contact me email who  explain all of moving mid contract, & replacing phone deal. if asked.. I am assuming I still get caller ID, losing that would be a show stopper

https://forms.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/contact-us/sales/

6. if support is needed do you still ring 150 & navigate india or are help calls routed to a UK support centre even outside of 9 - 5

No. It's dedicated business tech support. Can actually speak to an engineer after hours who logs into the CMTS.

ps I'd found the link already

Comparison between business and residential questions answered herehttp://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Business-vs-Residential-Broadband/m-p/3418140#M3155...

but its not actually a residential v business comparison, it just compares the different voom packages with each other

You obviously didn't read the thread, because I don't mention Voom packages anywhere in my responses.

And the video at the bottom would have answered your questions about the GUI.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You obviously didn't read the thread, because I don't mention Voom packages anywhere in my responses.

And the video at the bottom would have answered your questions about the GUI.

my bad- your link goes to a thread ( which I did read ) which then has a link to the (already seen ) business options table

i will go study GRE tunnel & also download the router PDF. [ i see mention of integrated DNLA server and USB ports so in theory you could attach a big USB drive full of media for 24/7 access ? ]

meanwhile  its good news on the better UK tech support, but different responses on the chipset comparison. I'd be happy to be assigned a dynamic IP ( athat's almost static really ) like I have now, so I can stay out of looking harder at the static IP options.

so for tech support do you not ring 150 but ring a special business support number instead , or do you still have to play the menu game until they realise who you are ??

0 Kudos
DaveM
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

that would make sense, thanks.

I think I will draw up a list of questions about how to migrate from an existing residential contract & try sending it to the business guys somehow. that will also test how helpful/responsive they are

in actuality we may see out the rest of the existing dcontract ( about 6 months left on that) , then decide what to do about TV ( see how the V6 fault reports trend out & look also at Sky TV) . then maybe go for a business phone+broadband deal.

my wife's the only TV watcher, so a possible  option is to have Sky  for her, to the upstairs tv, ( which is handy for dish positioning), move the freeview Humax box into the lounge.... by year end it may be clearer who offers the better + more reliable TV service

0 Kudos