Menu
huddy1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Business vs Residential Broadband

Hi 

I'm wondering if any has any insight into what might be the difference between residential and business connections beyond what I can read on the respective websites. 

For example, I'm primarily interested in knowing if traffic is routed differently, and if so, is it routed better with less hops etc? is business traffic given more priority, is latency better/worse? is there any traffic management on business? 

Ultimately do I go for business over residential? The only advantages of business over residential I can see from looking at the sites (without making assumptions) are:

• Static IPs (but modem mode unavailable when using these, so that's me out, as I use pfSense)
  • 50Mb more throughput (300 vs 350) 
  • Better fault resolution times. 

That's all I know about for sure, and on the face of it I would probably choose business but I would like to know if latency is worse because of how they create some sort of gre tunnel back to the business network over the residential network (from what I read anyway!). 

I'd appreciate any feedback. 

Cheers
Huddy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business vs Residential Broadband

hiya @huddy1 welcome to the virginmedia community forum, most of the data would be routed the same way unless you possible FTTP (fibre to the premises) this can give speeds over 1Gbps which virginmedia do, but this can get really really expensive..
no traffic polices
to get a static IP's you can have bolt on extra fee per month.. but with virginmedia residential customer rare that the IP address changes, some people have had the same IP for well over a year.
biggest benefits of switching to business is the SLA (Service Level Agreement) this can be as low as 12hrs

you can view packages via -> https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/connectivity/internet-access/business-broadband/

hope this helps
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

huddy1 wrote:

Hi 

I'm wondering if any has any insight into what might be the difference between residential and business connections beyond what I can read on the respective websites. 

I trialled the Virgin business connection back when it started and still have it. Though haven't used it for ages.

For example, I'm primarily interested in knowing if traffic is routed differently,

Business uses the same coax and fibre cabling as residential.

docsis2.jpg

and if so, is it routed better with less hops etc?

No. You just end up on a different port at the CMTS.

is business traffic given more priority,

No. There's no priority system on VM cable, everything is best effort.

is latency better/worse?

The latency of the Hitron CGNv4 would be comparable to that of the Hub 3, including the spikes in latency caused by the Puma 6 issue.

is there any traffic management on business? 

No.

Ultimately do I go for business over residential?

Depends on your reasons for doing so. Not much difference apart from the SLA and quality of tech support.

The only advantages of business over residential I can see from looking at the sites (without making assumptions) are:

• Static IPs (but modem mode unavailable when using these, so that's me out, as I use pfSense)

Avoid static IP, dynamic is better with less issues on business.

• 50Mb more throughput (300 vs 350) 
  • Better fault resolution times. 

That's all I know about for sure, and on the face of it I would probably choose business but I would like to know if latency is worse because of how they create some sort of gre tunnel back to the business network over the residential network (from what I read anyway!). 

Latency is about the same as a hub 3 on residential. No better or worse. Assuming you have the same number of downstream channels on the Hitron and Hub 3. Latency spikes are worse the more channels you have (see Puma 6 issue thread).

Cheers
Huddy

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

MUD_Wizard wrote:

Business uses the same coax and fibre cabling as residential.

Unless you pay for a dedicated fibre at thousands of pounds for installation. The benefit is really just in improved reliability - less chance of SNR faults, as Radio Frequency over Glass (RFoG) is used to convert DOCSIS over fibre, you're still essentially using the same channel frequencies that residential do. Even though you're not sharing channels with other customers on the fibre side you may still be at the CMTS, with other business customers on the same line card.

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I'm honoured that Muddie used my illustration to support his explanation that residential & business use identical infrastructure.

Dealing with the matter of the "benefits" of a business SLA, it's only worth anything if the fault is at your premises or at the VMB servers. If, as is more likely, an issue arises in the network, you are on no better a repair scheme than residential.

The GRE Tunnel mechanism works well enough, but does add latency, though not on a wrecking ball basis. It's an ingenious kludge by VM to leverage revenue from their residential infrastructure.

When the Hitron boots, it connects to the VM network using the Dynamic IP address handed to it from the VM end (not the VMB end). This dynamic link is the transport link between the Hitron and VM at all times. When initialising, the Hitron firmware establishes a GRE Tunnel to VMB so that the static IP address(es) can be established for application routing.

I too was part of the Hitron trial and it works well enough. At work, for one of our sites, we use VMB with the original SH1 (and business firmware) to provide an Internet service under special circumstances. That too has worked flawlessly for the past two years.

HTH.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Forgot to say.. Different admin GUI on the Hitron CGNv4 as well:

User-added image

huddy1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I phoned VMB today to place an order, the girl on the phone tells me modem-only mode is available with multiple static ips now, given a recent fix! I'm still undecided honestly. I've orders in for both. 

Residential will get installed much quicker I think. 

Part of me is tempted to have both installed, just so I can do my own testing, and hey a little more b/w can't hurt right?! 

It does sound like business should be slightly more reliable than residential but there's very little in it. 

If i do go ahead with both I assume they will trunk a separate coax to my house, rather than split the residential one! 

0 Kudos
tekmobile
Superfast
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't have thought that you would be allowed both but great if you are.

I would think they would split the coax it's all going back to the same cabinet at the end of the day

I remember when telewest let you have multiple IPs on a residential connection you just had a modem and connected a switch to the ethernet port and the modem would assign your allowed amount of devices an IP address but I guess it would be different now

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

don't think it's possible to have a business and residential account at the same property. might be wrong about this..
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
huddy1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I did let her know I have residential connection being installed! she might not have picked up on it though. personally if a second cable is run I can't see why it would be an issue? 

0 Kudos