Menu
adamhr
Tuning in
Message 81 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business Hitron Router

legacy1 wrote:  You do know its been proven you can be a security risk even with NAT don't you? In fact NAT routers themselves have been known to have security risks and so then all your devices are compromised and thats just for starter there are way more security risks that NAT can not protect you from.

Yes I do, but NAT is better than simply putting the devices directly on to the Internet, as seems to be the case here.  Obviously a Firewall should also be in place.  I was just asking why Zach8 was "dreaming of a service with no NAT" to understand the context.

My original question was whether the setup that has been implemented by the VM engineer on this site is typical for VM business setups?  I haven't seen non-web service devices given public IP addresses for a long time.  I was trying to understand whether this was a standard config (by design) and other forum members have been setup this way, or whether the engineer was having an off day and didn't setup correctly. 

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 82 of 191
Flag for a moderator

It is my personal and professional opinion that ISP's should never touch customer equipment. Full stop.

adamhr
Tuning in
Message 83 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Zach8 wrote:

It is my personal and professional opinion that ISP's should never touch customer equipment. Full stop.

Completely agree - depending on what VM support tell my customer, we might have to go back in to site and set everything back the way it was before the VM engineer changed it.

0 Kudos
freedomit
Joining in
Message 84 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Just looked and our router is now running firmware 4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC

Is everyone else seeing the same thing?

0 Kudos
Luke_113
On our wavelength
Message 85 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Just checked mine now, after a few frustrating days of mid game the GRE dropping and reconnecting, and my TeamSpeak and Ark servers going offline... Starting to get extremely frustrated with this...

have te you noticed any difference with the new firmware?

Luke

0 Kudos
freedomit
Joining in
Message 86 of 191
Flag for a moderator

No apart from today we have had the Internet drop out for 2-3 minutes about 4 times, will be calling Virgin tomorrow
0 Kudos
Luke_113
On our wavelength
Message 87 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Oh that's standard as far as I've experienced! I have noticed in the last couple of weeks that the average latency has dropped though - unlikely connected
0 Kudos
freedomit
Joining in
Message 88 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Just came across this on another VM forum, you can now put the Hitron into 'Modem Mode' but only if your using a dynamic IP.

http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help/s/article/Hitron-Dynamic-Modem-only-Mode-User-Guide

0 Kudos
Luke_113
On our wavelength
Message 89 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this link, this is useful.

I would love VM Business to fix the bug though so that I can use this with the static IP, I'd got this as I need a static IP for some of the services I'm running

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 90 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Was told about this a while a go by VM support - thing is it gets a very different IP to the normally unused non-gre one, perhaps even in the consumer range - the ones I got  were all over IP blacklists. 

I have noticed better QOS afterhours since the update - so maybe there are working on the service

0 Kudos