It seems like the ideal solution doesn't it Smiley Happy
I cant use DDNS some of my endpoints will only accept an IP address

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 62 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business Hitron Router

I just had to confirmed by Business tech you can only set up the GRE tunnel on the Hirton. With my setup as i have 5 IPs the Hitron basically just acts as a modem as the public IPs are configured on my end devices.

If far as i know the Hitron does DHCP and Nat with the dynamic and single IP setup but with 5 or 13 IPs DHCP and NAT are disabled. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Witwicki
Tuning in
Message 63 of 182
Flag for a moderator

I dont want to setup the tunnel on the Hitron, I want to setup the GRE tunnel on the DD-wrt after the Hitron
0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 64 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Tidus, so do you have a proper routed subnet (albeit via a GRE tunnel)? How did you get this ?
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 65 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Tidus wrote:

If far as i know the Hitron does DHCP and Nat with the dynamic and single IP setup but with 5 or 13 IPs DHCP and NAT are disabled. 

Their is no reason VM can't do GRE tunnel and one IP without NAT other then they what you to pay more for 5 IP's or they say it can't be done yet it can or they didn't think people on business want their IP without Nat....well that's just silly.Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 66 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Witwicki wrote:
I dont want to setup the tunnel on the Hitron, I want to setup the GRE tunnel on the DD-wrt after the Hitron

Talked about here but VM need to give some info like where to GRE.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Replace-HITRON-CGNV4-to-allow-Modem-Onl...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 67 of 182
Flag for a moderator

legacy. Though it should be possible i think its more for support purposes that its not done.

As for the routed Subnet, Thats exactly how its done if you have a account with 5 or more IPs. The dynamic DOCSIS IP is only available for the GRE Tunnel.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 68 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Tidus wrote:

legacy. Though it should be possible i think its more for support purposes that its not done.

Rubbish what support purposes can their be other then to make someone willing to go on business package but only wanting one IP without NAT in order to make them get 5 IP's its a stupid deal they be better off willing to go on business package with normal firmware and modem mode with a dynamic IP less trouble for the person wanting that and cheaper for VM its not like GRE down and up Docsis can work fine when there is a Docsis problem for the area so there is no reason for them not to do this.

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 69 of 182
Flag for a moderator

When I ordered our Business 200 Meg Line with Fixed IP, I was told that VM could only offer 1x Fixed IP, and that was all that was offered on the VM Business Web Site.

I enquired about 5x Fixed IP from the outset, because that was what we had elsewhere for many years, but was told VM couldn't yet offer that, but hoped to be able to do so 2nd Quarter 2016.

Reading between the lines, by the time I ordered in around February 2016, VM must already have been having issues with Fixed IP, and so had limited new customers to just 1x Fixed IP...and, even then, that didn't work, as we have all since found out.

No idea if VM is offering more than 1x Fixed IP, or if the 5x and 13x Fixed IPs have been rolled out yet (suspect not, given the issues we are having).

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 70 of 182
Flag for a moderator

I can't find anything about 5 & 13 IP service anywhere on the site. I have not seen issues with my IPs, GRE Tunnel since the time the 5 Ips was added to my account. before that with a single IP i had many issues mainly with NAT not routing correctly or the GRE going down. My install took over 3 hours and then i was left with a single IP service for a month with the Hitron doing Nat and DHCP for that IP.

0 Kudos