Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 51 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business Hitron Router

joedr3dd2016 wrote:

Any news on the impending update?

Nothing from the forum/trials side. Maybe someone has heard something via business support?

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 52 of 182
Flag for a moderator

I have spoken to 1st and 2nd line and 'Customer Services' today.  And to be honest I lost it a little bit and swore.  The frustration is real.

There was no update, but on Friday the GRE tunnel failed (I understand it failed for MANY people) which meant that although the router could ping, the LAN couldn't route out, so I called support and they removed *their* static IP - which meant I received all the benefits of decreased internet mishaps (Hanging poor latency and all the things described by VikingBeer) with apparently no difference in the ability of me have one of  *their* static IP's - just not the one via the GRE tunnel...  They say it's not static, but the reverse DNS contains the word static, and it hasn't changed in over 3 months...

I called today, since I wanted to have the ability to port forward restored - this had broken when they removed the GRE tunnel... turns out all I had to do was factory reset... which is a PITA to say the least.  Did restore my ability to port forward however.

1st Line support couldn't help with the port forwarding issue, but did tell me the GRE tunnel situation was still ongoing.  And that they were still working on a real multi-ip / modem mode solution - perhaps for JULY. Perhaps.

2nd Line support had to ask somebody to find out if I should be able to port forward without the GRE tunnel and returned from hold with the factory reset advice.

The 'Customer services' representative was not aware there were any problems or issues ongoing.  I was hoping I could negotiate some form of compromise to get a business solution working - different product, different router or firm dates for a business service to be delivered.  He was indifferent and the computer said 'no' - he didn't understand the importance of us requiring or wanting control over an IP to use on our own products (This isn't supported) - he had no knowledge of other routers supplied by Virgin which work fine in modem mode (all of the none Hitron models).  When asked if he knew why people wanted a static IP for their own use he said it was for printers and photocopiers.  When I said that all consumer Virgin products allowed their users to use their own equipment on the back on the router in Modem mode he said they did not and it wasn't supported and anyway it's a different company and he doesn't know.   He harped on nonsensically about static IP's again - without any regard for the actual issues I was describing (not being able to use a public IP on our own equipment, 'static' or not - let's just get back to basics here!)  He started using phrases such as "I am telling you" and "It's the product you signed up for", this coupled with his zero knowledge of anything remotely relevant to my grievances - or indeed, it would seem business broadband in general, I had to hang up.

VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 53 of 182
Flag for a moderator

I can commiserate with how frustrating that must have been.

I also complained via telephone initially regarding the associated voice line (telephone); in my case it was about the lack of Caller ID on inbound calls, and the lack of CallSign (one line, but two numbers so one can tell, say, business calls from private calls, or advertise two different numbers for different tasks).

I had the same attitude:

Virgin Media: "Your Contract didn't cover CallSign, and we don't offer that."

Me: "With the greatest respect, I went for what you were advertising on your web site: Business 200 meg, Fixed IP, Voice Line "Free" Calls, CLI and CallSign."

Virgin Media: "That's not on our site, we don't do CallSign, that's a BT product."

Me: "I'm on your web site now and, yes, you do offer CallSign, take a look please, that was exactly is it was when I ordered. I took a PDF screenshot to confirm, would you like me to email that?"

Virgin Media: "Do you want to come off Contract then?"

Me: "Hold on, that's a bit hasty. I just want what was offered, I didn't think I was being unreasonable?"

Virgin Media: "We don't do CallSign, never have. I've never heard of it."

Me: "I also do not have CLIP, which was supposed to be Free."

[Discussion about inbound and outbound number display, when I was told it's all the same, which I had to then explain that, no, actually, it isn't, I want the fella that tells me who is calling, and I also want my number to be shown when I call, so please can I have the one I am missing, pretty please?].

Virgin Media: "That was extra."

Me: "No, it was free, web clearly stated this."

Virgin Media: "That wasn't on your Contract."

Me: "I'm not sure what you have stated on the Contract you seem to be able to see that I cannot see, I'm just asking for the features that you advertised that caused me to place my Order. The same features that you are still advertising on your web site, right now, as I speak."

Virgin Media: "We don't do CallSign, that isn't something we do."

Me: [my thought bubble...**bleep**!] "Please may I speak with your Manager?"

[LONG WAIT, when I get to explain the same issues all over again, this time to someone more polite]

Virgin Media Manager: "Ever so sorry, I will look into this, and I will call you back."

That was the last I heard.

I chased it up again, but don't think I've had any response, at least not via email.

In summary,

I ordered a Business 200 meg, Fixed IP, Voice Line "Free" Calls, CLI and CallSign.

I got a 200 Meg line that didn't work, but did get a Fixed IP, a Voice Line, "Free" Calls but with no CLI and no CallSign.

I had to drop the Fixed IP for the 200 Meg line to work, I do have a Voice Line, but still do not have CLI or CallSign.

Virgin Media also billed me £156 after just 3 or so weeks, which was for 2 months at £60+VAT...including an extra £5+VAT because I will not allow Direc Debits so pay via bank transfer.

At least the 200 Meg Line works with the Sticky IP (but it isn't a Fixed IP), as does the Voice Line in terms of making calls, and receiving calls from people I cannot identify until I speak to them!

This is nearly a good line, just not quite there yet, and Virgin Media do not seem to be doing anything to match what was offered with what was delivered.

VikingBeer

joedr3dd2016
Joining in
Message 54 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Had to do the same VM have allocated me a dymanic IP (which is PBL blocked..will sort that later) had to factory reset router to allow port forwarding, all seems ok on speed though and disconnects seem to have gone for now. Not a good state of affairs really as they blatently havent tested these routers before rollout!

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 55 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Being on a PBL is atrocious - whether or not it's a dynamic IP or a static IP - IP's should be a tightly controlled and cleansed before being given to either new or existing (business) users (especially).
Does your current IP reverse DNS have the word 'static' in in, out of curiosity ?
0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 56 of 182
Flag for a moderator

FYI my Sticky IP does reverse DNS to a name with "static" in it and, when I checked, it's not (currently) on a PBL (Policy Black List).

But it could change to a new Sticky IP at any time, and it could end up on a PBL because it is not actually a Fixed IP.

For now, I'm working with only one Domain using that Sticky IP, the rest I am keeping as POP3, even though that is somewhat inconvenient, and means I don't have the ease of use, don't have near instant inbound emails, am lumbered with email size limits because the POP3 is hosted elsewhere, and don't have the management convenience running the Domains from my own Server with a true Fixed IP (er, like the one I ordered).

The big concern with using a Sticky IP as if it's a Fixed IP, is that I might wake up one fine morning to find everything has gone to rats, and all Domains have been Black Listed because of an unexpected IP change. That could lose clients if we are very busy when/if that happens.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
Witwicki
Tuning in
Message 57 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Anyone know how to setup the GRE tunnel on another device?

I have a DD-WRT in the DMZ which is working well - I have the GRE username and password, I need to know the VM endpoint IP?

Thanks

Witwicki

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 58 of 182
Flag for a moderator

I don't think you can setup the GRE tunnel on anything other then the Hitron itself. The way the Hitron is setup with static IPs means there is NO routing from the Dynamic IP past the Hitron.

I have DD-WRT on a TP-Link WDR3600 N600 Router running on 1 of my 5 IPs. Another IP directly running on an old iMac running OSX Server.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Witwicki
Tuning in
Message 59 of 182
Flag for a moderator

Thats the point

Let the hitron have dynamic - forward GRE ports to another router and terminate the tunnel with the static on this router?

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 60 of 182
Flag for a moderator

I initially wanted to try this too, but couldn't get any details on where the gre went...
You can have VM remove the static IP, then you can use modem mode (Basic-Gateway-RG Function) and a utilise a very low TTL dynamicDNS client.... Seems to be the only way of using your own equipment with the Hitron router in any half sensible way. The dynamic IP you get in this mode is different still from the usual one... their system is maddening. Why do I route through a private 10.0.0.0 network, for instance ?
0 Kudos