Menu
dolkensp
Just joined
Message 181 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business Hitron Router

Hi all - thought I'd share my experiences with you so far - the trick seems to be emailing directors to get things moving.

* April 10, 2017, I placed an order for Virgin Business Broadband with a Static IP with the intention of upgrading from a 200mbps residential line, to one with a static IP
* April 19, 2017, I received my first customer number (######601)
* Unknown Date, Engineer came out to complete installation unsuccessfully
* Next Day, Engineer returned to re-attempt installation unsuccessfully
* Late April, Attempted to call customer support to report a fault, but was told that my account wasn't active yet, so I had to call different team, who were unavailable at the time.
* May 2, 2017, I was informed that my installation was now "complete" - I had no connectivity at this stage
* May 2, 2017, Called customer support again
* May 5, 2017, New engineer came out, and connectivity was established
* May 8, 2017, I was told that a new engineer was scheduled - I went to dispute this, as the connection had *just* started working after weeks of troubleshooting - but decided to leave it - you guys must know what you're doing right - and it would only confuse the support agents... How wrong I was.
* May 12, 2017, A new engineer arrived and installed a second modem which didn't work (same symptoms that the first modem had)
* May 19, 2017, I received my second customer number
Unknown Dates, I received calls asking if my new connection was working. I confirmed that they were NOT
* June 07, 2017, Direct Debit is deducted for a total of £108 under the account number ######601
* June 26, 2017, Residential connection was terminated (I had cancelled back in early May)
* June 27, 2017, I reported a new fault as apparently my connection was no longer in "installation" and was now "live" - Factory Reset Modem twice while on phone to Ehi
* June 28, 2017, Stuart on-site for 3+ hours trying to rectify fault. Support team told him to factory reset the modem, as well as replace the modem, but seemed unable to offer any other support after he'd reset the modem 4 times. Stuart had to escalate it to internal Virgin teams
* June 29, 2017, Stuart called to check if anyone else had been in contact with me (they hadn't), and confirmed he had escalated the issue
* July 02, 2017, Contacted customer support again to get an update on the ticket. Ehi confirmed internal teams were working on it
* July 06, 2017, Stuart called to check if anyone else had been in contact with me (they hadn't)
* July 10, 2017, Contacted customer support again to get an update on the ticket. Richard confirmed that there hadn't been any movement on ticket since I last spoke to Ehi
* July 12, 2017, Started emailing random executives to see if potentially *someone* knew how to connect a simple internet connection
* July 12, 2017, Matt called me back to try a few different things - no connection as of yet, but he's speaking to level 3 teams again.
* July 13, 2017, Matt called me back to inform I had a new IP - no connection yet
* July 14, 2017, Matt called me back to inform me that a duplicate IP had been found on the network, and that my connection was now up.
* July 26, 2017, Invoice arrives for £240 GBP under the account number ######201 (includes Connection fee which I was told would be waved as I was moving from a virgin residential line, plus other undescribed charges)
* August 14, 2017, Direct Debit is deducted for a total of £240 under the account number ######201
* September 10, 2017, Confirm with my bank to terminate and refund ALL direct debits from Virgin Media
* September 13, 2017, Email directors once again
* September 14, 2017, 16 hour outage without notification
* September 14, 2017, Adam contacts me and informs me he's going to resolve the billing issue
* September 22, 2017, Receive revised version of erroneous bill, with all charges itemized, showing I was billed for May,June,July despite no connectivity - confirm with Adam that this is to be expected, and corrections will be forthcoming
* September 28, 2017, Finally receive corrected bill, and contact Adam to re-enable direct debits
* October 10, 2017, New fault raised -> receiving 5-10mbps service after an initial full-speed burst - supposedly due to ongoing "fragmentation" issue with static IP connections - despite connection working August/September without issue

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
dolkensp
Just joined
Message 182 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Hi all - thought I'd share my experiences with you so far - the trick seems to be emailing directors to get things moving.

• April 10, 2017, I placed an order for Virgin Business Broadband with a Static IP with the intention of upgrading from a 200mbps residential line, to one with a static IP
  • April 19, 2017, I received my first customer number (######601)
  • Unknown Date, Engineer came out to complete installation unsuccessfully
  • Next Day, Engineer returned to re-attempt installation unsuccessfully
  • Late April, Attempted to call customer support to report a fault, but was told that my account wasn't active yet, so I had to call different team, who were unavailable at the time.
  • May 2, 2017, I was informed that my installation was now "complete" - I had no connectivity at this stage
  • May 2, 2017, Called customer support again
  • May 5, 2017, New engineer came out, and connectivity was established
  • May 8, 2017, I was told that a new engineer was scheduled - I went to dispute this, as the connection had *just* started working after weeks of troubleshooting - but decided to leave it - you guys must know what you're doing right - and it would only confuse the support agents... How wrong I was.
  • May 12, 2017, A new engineer arrived and installed a second modem which didn't work (same symptoms that the first modem had)
  • May 19, 2017, I received my second customer number
    Unknown Dates, I received calls asking if my new connection was working. I confirmed that they were NOT
  • June 07, 2017, Direct Debit is deducted for a total of £108 under the account number ######601
  • June 26, 2017, Residential connection was terminated (I had cancelled back in early May)
  • June 27, 2017, I reported a new fault as apparently my connection was no longer in "installation" and was now "live" - Factory Reset Modem twice while on phone to Ehi
  • June 28, 2017, Stuart on-site for 3+ hours trying to rectify fault. Support team told him to factory reset the modem, as well as replace the modem, but seemed unable to offer any other support after he'd reset the modem 4 times. Stuart had to escalate it to internal Virgin teams
  • June 29, 2017, Stuart called to check if anyone else had been in contact with me (they hadn't), and confirmed he had escalated the issue
  • July 02, 2017, Contacted customer support again to get an update on the ticket. Ehi confirmed internal teams were working on it
  • July 06, 2017, Stuart called to check if anyone else had been in contact with me (they hadn't)
  • July 10, 2017, Contacted customer support again to get an update on the ticket. Richard confirmed that there hadn't been any movement on ticket since I last spoke to Ehi
  • July 12, 2017, Started emailing random executives to see if potentially *someone* knew how to connect a simple internet connection
  • July 12, 2017, Matt called me back to try a few different things - no connection as of yet, but he's speaking to level 3 teams again.
  • July 13, 2017, Matt called me back to inform I had a new IP - no connection yet
  • July 14, 2017, Matt called me back to inform me that a duplicate IP had been found on the network, and that my connection was now up.
  • July 26, 2017, Invoice arrives for £240 GBP under the account number ######201 (includes Connection fee which I was told would be waved as I was moving from a virgin residential line, plus other undescribed charges)
  • August 14, 2017, Direct Debit is deducted for a total of £240 under the account number ######201
  • September 10, 2017, Confirm with my bank to terminate and refund ALL direct debits from Virgin Media
  • September 13, 2017, Email directors once again
  • September 14, 2017, 16 hour outage without notification
  • September 14, 2017, Adam removed contacts me and informs me he's going to resolve the billing issue
  • September 22, 2017, Receive revised version of erroneous bill, with all charges itemized, showing I was billed for May,June,July despite no connectivity - confirm with Adam that this is to be expected, and corrections will be forthcoming
  • September 28, 2017, Finally receive corrected bill, and contact Adam to re-enable direct debits
  • October 10, 2017, New fault raised -> receiving 5-10mbps service after an initial full-speed burst - supposedly due to ongoing "fragmentation" issue with static IP connections - despite connection working August/September without issue

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 183 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Just moved office.

Now back to BT. 5 IP's (aww man that's wonderful off the bat) 
Download 60, upload 18. 
ICMP Latency is improved - Including, especially 'real' UDP based routing tests. DNS is faster (Whether using google, Open or DNSCrypt)  - I posted about Virgin DNS but was knocked to ground.
At one quarter of the Virgin speed, everything is more responsive.  Everything feels MUCH better - RDP, Citrix - OpenVPN now works at over 256KB. 

I have a routed subnet. The cables flex.  Everything is better.  EVERYTHING. 

Virgin. I acknowledge your fiber installs have never let us down. Of which we have dozens. 
But your coax, GRE based 'business' offering is STILL a fallacy. Your router is very Poor, runs hot. No multiple IP. Needs to be re-flashed everytime you have a 'Business Outage' - - ie remove the GRE tunnel. 
I singed up for the new trial about 3 months ago after you requested. But nothing. 

I have had, in total, several weeks without service. In two years. (about £350 worth of 4G SIMS) not too bad, but I was paying £60 / month for 200 MBps which I saw maybe 10% of the time during downloads, including from our own Data-center which has 1GBps connection, burstable to 40GBps - usually I would get  ~5-7Mbps with virgin.  On 4G I would get ~20.  On random local 'free' wifi I could hit 60. 

It's not me, it you. £60. Broadband only.

VIRGIN BUSINESS BROADBAND is not an option for business. It's a joke. 
Most of us on this thread are here because we were forced (No BT space / no LLU space) or because we belived that virgin could fulfill their commitment to business.  I have heard ALL of the excuses.  Put even pinging a uni cast IP at sub 20 ms again and just enjoying web browsing.....  F&*k - the virgin GRE idea is just idea is just fubar. 
Hey! Why not use IP6 ?

Goodbye and thanks for all the  pish

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 184 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Just FYI your BT Business connection is also encapsulating, just using PPPoE rather than GRE.

Apparently the performance issues with the static / multiple IP services should be fixed imminently.

Better be, anyway.

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 185 of 191
Flag for a moderator

That aside my VM Business order in a newly built area is apparently 200Mb downstream, 16Mb upstream as that's all the brand new network can deliver.

Be lovely to know how Virgin Media Ireland manage to deliver 400Mb downstream, 40Mb upstream to businesses in the Republic of Ireland for a similar price.

Finding myself considering paying extra for a shorter contract as BT will be turning up 350/50 G.fast in the area, and making a possibly viable FTTP on Demand option available. Unless VM are provided extra funding and allowed by the Borg in Schipol to get on with delivering there's no way they're going to have the firepower to compete with enhanced copper wires, regardless of how their advertising trumps their superior coaxial cabling. Cabling means nothing if what's either side of it isn't good enough.

0 Kudos
Zach8
On our wavelength
Message 186 of 191
Flag for a moderator

"Apparently the performance issues with the static / multiple IP services should be fixed imminently."

It's been TWO YEARS - since they said that to me.

I understand the encapsulation technicals.  But not why I have to be tunneled through 45 hops to Newcastle / Manchester - even Milton Keynes makes no excuse when I live south of London. That why the latency is so **bleep**.  It's their POP that crap, obviously, or their inability to comply with the digital act. 

The thing is, when  I have extended outages - I have had a non-static IP config pushed down and things are still poor. Very poor (worse, I guess 'cos I am residential contention). and I pop out (IP wise) locally then. 

Also - the GRE tunnel is only activated in Virgin routers when static IP's are used, AFAIK.  Obviously they use some bridging for the thinet, but because of their archaic way of subscription, it makes consumer choice irrelevant.  Even though I sourced a router from a US office that would have been A1 - virgin wouldn't allow it. And it' more than just mac address...

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 187 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I gave up waiting and went dynamic. 20Mb wasn't working too well for me.

This router is horrible. Liberty have locked it down so it doesn't even provide basic diagnostic information. The interface is clunky and unresponsive. It has bugs in router mode.

VM / Liberty need to stop being so damn cheap. Business customers deserve better equipment either side of their GRE tunnels than this overworked, underpowered PoS and the overloaded Benu (who?) kit on the other end.

There should be tunnel terminating equipment in all the PoPs. My static should break out at Leeds Seacroft, not Manchester or, worse, Birmingham. VM's network has weird and wonderful enough routing without adding a magical mystery tour in GRE to the mix.
0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 188 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick heads up...looks like some scheduled Maintenance did go ahead today, our VMB 200 Line went down as anticipated, has now come back up, but...

...it looks like the Sticky Dynamic IP has changed, so Domain email is no longer flowing until I re-configure the DNS Mail Settings.

Our Sticky Dynamic IP was along the lines of: 82.XX.XXX.XXX

Now it appears to be along the lines of: 77.XXX.XXX.XXX

Also, cannot seem to access the Hitron's Web Admin Page, the usual 192.168.0.1 is timing out and/or resetting when I try, so I wonder if VMB have deployed some new Hitron Software at the same time?

I'll update when this latest little mystery clarifies itself.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 189 of 191
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm that after today's maintenance by VMB, our Sticky Dynamic IP had indeed changed (we originally ordered a Static IP but, like most others, had to switch to Dynamic IP when we found the Static IP just plain did not work as it should).

I have now changed the Domain MX Records, and email is flowing again. The new IP is not on any Black Lists that I can see, for now, so no new problems there.

I had to re-Boot the Hitron to be able to access the "admin" page, initially after the maintenance, I was unable to do so.

The Hitron's Software seems to be the same, still showing "4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC".

I have no idea what maintenance was carried out by VMB.

One possible issue that today's fun has suggested, is that perhaps VMB re-releases Dynamic IPs on a Monday morning?

Today, our Hitron was up, but the VMB 200 Line was down, so I wonder if that may explain the change in our Sticky Dynamic IP?

Others may have some comments on this, but if the above does suggest that Monday morning is the time when IPs are re-released, then this could suggest that if you wish to keep an existing Sticky Dynamic IP, then avoid re-Booting your Hitron on a Monday morning, or you might end up with your Hitron off-line just when VMB re-issue the IPs, so you will get a new one.

For those new to this, provided your Hitron is up when VMB re-release the Dynamic IPs each week, the thing should get to keep whatever Dynamic IP that it was already using, which is what makes these IPs "Sticky" in effect, and can mean you get to use the same one for Months, if not years.

But re-Boot the Hitron at the wrong time, and you will lose what ever IP it was using.

OK, all working again, albeit I have had to piddle around with this for a couple of hours, which I wasn't planning to do. Another penalty of the non-functioning VMB Fixed IP fiasco.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
Ignition
Trouble shooter
Message 190 of 191
Flag for a moderator

VM don't release IPs weekly; for it to have changed must've been the result of planned work moving you to a different line card or chassis.

0 Kudos