Menu
Luke_113
On our wavelength
Message 91 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Re: Business Hitron Router

Just wanted to drop a quick note to say my connection was down most of the day 7:45ish-15:30ish - but the firmware on the Hitron also updated to 4.5.10.142-SIP-UPC

Will see how it goes with the new firmware

0 Kudos
Luke_113
On our wavelength
Message 92 of 191
Flag for a moderator

So almost a week of usage since the firmware update was pushed out to my Hitron, its definitely more stable with less packet loss, but still have times when the GRE tunnel just appears to drop but the dynamic IP stays live, and I'll show packet loss on the static IP but not on the dynamic one...

Anyone know when modem only with a single static IP will be ready? I saw this - http://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help/s/article/Hitron-Dynamic-Modem-only-Mode-User-Guide but sadly it only appears to be for dynamic IPs

Sephiroth, I saw you'd posted on there about still trying to use the static IP, did you, and did you have any luck?

Luke

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 93 of 191
Flag for a moderator

@Luke_113

I think I can answer the question about modem mode/single static IP address. The answer is no. This is because the business service is overlaid on the residential service, which uses Dynamic IPv4 addresses so that the static IP resides at the VM end - hence the tunnel.

Whether or not they could do something cunning with IPv6 along the lines you want is speculation. Then the man can dream about IP addrersses without NAT!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
90Ninety
On our wavelength
Message 94 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Static Public IP not available :/

It seems strange that some  customers here have static IP Public addresses  Working and also Port Forwarding working  . I have spoke with several Virgin Techies now , each one has categorically  has at least  mentioned issues surrounding Static IP addresses . The last Techie  ( Faults option ) said that Virgin media cannot currently offer Static IP addressing at all - due to technical issues . Smiley Surprised

Will stable static IP addressing ever materialize as an available  service for the rest of us (vast majority of us - it seems)  - who are forced to use dynamic  ? 

Furthermore , I suspect this router does not support Port Forwarding with Dynamic Public IP ? At least I haven't got it working yet 

0 Kudos
Luke_113
On our wavelength
Message 95 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Re: Static Public IP not available :/

Its interesting actually, @90Ninety since I posted I raised a complaint, and instead of the usual response I got, I actually had a call from a guy who works for the VMB CEO, who explained that they are fully aware of the issues, and are advising new customers to hold off on a static IP. He did mention that although it is subject to change VMB are hoping to implement a fix around December time, however as a result of the continuous downtime he has offered me a few options which I'm currently considering, I did actually send him an email back with what options I would accept from what we'd discussed, and in classic Virgin Media fashion hasn't replied to me! So just need to chase him up to see what the outcome is! So it was nice that they did actually reach out to me, but sad as per usual that as always VMB don't follow through....

Its been a while since my previous post about the line being more stable, which is it, definitely they've partially fixed the issue, but not totally and I will still have a lot of packet loss through the day and usually at least 1 disconnection in every 6ish hours which is still no way close to a 'business service'.

I also, if anyone else is interested, inquired about whether VMB will be matching the 'gaming' connection that VM offer, which I was told there is no plans to, as this would be too much of a similar offering to a DIA/MIA connection - which clearly showed how much technical stuff this guy knew -  as having 200mb download and 15mb upload (even if it were to go to 20mb upload) is not even remotely comparable to a 50/50 DIA/MIA connection... at all! I mean firstly it costs at least 6x as much per month for a starter....

God BT roll out g.fast or make FTTP cost effective for prosumers and SMB's.....

LiamHalley
Joining in
Message 96 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Looking for some help.

About to move office with VMB I just had installed into new premises.  I was told by VM agent that I can switch the Hitron into Modem mode to use with our Draytek 2830s.  We currently have a VPN mesh setup between 5 sites with these.

After the engineer finished installing the new line yesterday, he asked if I was going to be using it in modem mode.  He then said it wouldn't work with a static IP.

As you can imagine, this is pretty much what we need it to do, and If I can't get a static IP through the Draytek, the VPN mesh won't work.

The engineer wsa talking about port forwarding to resolve the issue, but I never actually understood how that would fix it.

Has anyone had Static IP and modem only mode working?

Any help would be appreciated as we are moving the office over the weekend and need to get this up and running by Monday.

0 Kudos
90Ninety
On our wavelength
Message 97 of 191
Flag for a moderator

No 

The Bad News

,The consensus is if you want to use 'modem only mode ' then the Hitron has to be set to Dynamic IP 

The Good News 

THe dynamic IP seldom changes , it has not changed for me for over two months now , its a sticky IP 

0 Kudos
LiamHalley
Joining in
Message 98 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply.

We have a Static IP on the new installed line.  How easy is it to switch to dynamic?

Can it be done on the router, or do VM need to change it?

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 99 of 191
Flag for a moderator

VMB need to do it, but a quick call, and they should be able to do it there and then.

After that, you need to re-boot the HITRON by setting it back to factory defaults, then wait maybe 30 mins, and it should settle down and you will have it working with a Dynamic IP, albeit it should be a very Sticky Dynamic IP.

In one of my Posts I mentioned how to re-set to factory defaults (I have not made many Posts, so you or I should be able to find that if needed).

I did find that there were two ways to re-set, one worked, the other didn't!

I have a feeling the one that worked was to physically press the re-set button actually on the Router itself.

Any problems, I will dig out my Post.

VikingBeer

0 Kudos
VikingBeer
Dialled in
Message 100 of 191
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, it's the other way around, found my Post:

"I had to switch to Dynamic IP, and also had to do a Factory Reset of the Router to clear the Fixed IP settings (do that via the Configuration Software, the button on the back didn't do a Factory Reset, even though I held it in for over 20 seconds)."

So, forget the reset button, and reset to Factory Defaults from the Configuration Software.

HTH

ViKingBeer

0 Kudos