whats the best web browser for speed?

i don't like my web pages running slow. web pages opening slow

0 Kudos
RainmakerRaw
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Best web browser for speed

You've asked a simple question with a complicated answer. Rendering times for websites are much more than just the browser you use. For example CPU, memory, network equipment (including wifi vs ethernet), any local software (e.g. antivirus) and operating system all play a role. That's before you even get outside your local network and consider factors on the wider internet.

All other factors being equal, most modern browsers will be so close to each other when run 'naked' as to be pretty imperceptible. However once you factor in antivirus (they often slow down web page loading significantly), browser add ons (especially blockers, script managers etc) and clunky OS like Windows, things start to go downhill. 

Try restarting your current browser in guest mode (Chrome/Opera/etc) or Safe Mode (Firefox et al.) and see whether things improve. Usually it's perceptibly faster. Try with your AV disabled temporarily, and see it go faster again. You'll also find a significant improvement running 'proper' network equipment, keeping your SuperHub in modem mode and having a beefy standalone machine running BSD or Linux doing the routing and firewalling (pfSense, IPFire, openBSD et al.). 

As a rule browsers all have pros and cons. Chrome (Blink) is generally quite advanced but uses a lot of system memory. That memory usage also allows for fast response times though, so it's a bit of a roundabout. Their recent update (50) introduced a lot of memory tweaks and leak fixes, which helped lower overall RAM usage, so maybe try Chrome in Guest Mode to see whether you see an improvement. I always find recent Firefox builds nice and snappy without too many add-ons as well. Alternatively Vivaldi (written by the people who made the 'old' Opera before it started using Chrome's engine underneath) feels like it renders web pages quickly because of the way it works. If you're using something like AdBlock Plus try switching to uBlock Origin, which uses about 10x less memory and CPU cycles to do the same thing. Browsing will become much more responsive. Also evaluate whether your AV suite is as light as it could be (AV-Test.org or AV-Comparatives will help here). 

If you're happy with your network setup but your browsing still feels slow, try booting a Linux live USB (I recommend Manjaro, or Debian with non-free firmware built in) and test from there. Linux is far (far) better at handling resources than Windows, and is much faster overall as a result. Downloads are quicker, browsing much snapper and software works better (e.g. image rendering or video converting will often be twice as fast under Linux compared to the same program running on Windows). That can help rule out other issues - if it's fast under Linux then maybe you have driver issues or other software running badly on Windows which is affecting your browsing abilities. 

You can also try some of the other lightweight browsers available on Linux. For example Midori is lean and very snappy, or try qupzilla. That's a lot of words for a 'simple' question. As I said, there's a lot more to it than you might imagine. Have a play around and let us know how you get on.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

beware also that too many extensions / ad blockers will kill speed

I had both ad block and ad block plus added to chrome and was struggling to play 1080p you tube on a dual core pentium. Much faster once i removed one, and much faster again when I ditched adblock plus for u block

I learnt by googling that adding lots of specific block this image, gif, whatever to ABP kills performance, it has to pre scan every frame of every page against your complied list of also block this, just in case it is present

now i use only ublock and ghostery for chrome , and ABP only for IE, for the rare occasions when I use that.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Chrome and browsers based of it are fast. I've done a switch of Firefox to Chrome on varying machines of different spec and each one encountered a performance gain in page loading speeds etc. Chrome also opens fast from scratch, unlike Firefox which isn't the most responsive.

On the subject of Firefox: it is a bloatfish full on unncesscary features like a built in VOIP chat client, some sort of ecurrency system (Firefox pocket), etc. While Firefox is generally a slow browser compared to Chromium browsers (Chrome etc) the worst parts about Firefox are how A) how it handles memory. You can start Firefox up, leave it with only two or so tabs open. It will eventually automatically consume all available system RAM then crash. It also uses a high amount of memory in general from the open (with no extensions - just a base install.) If you start up a html 5 video in a base Firefox install with no extensions it rapidly jumps up to about 3GB of RAM used that doesn't clear after you close the tab. Not forgetting memory leaks from any extensions when you get around to adding them.

You can disable some of those things in about:config, but it doesn't reduce the memory foot print much. It does speed up the load of Firefox from scratch though.

The last annoyance I have about Firefox is mostly security related, for the longest time it run with all plugins, all extensions, all pages in ONE process and no sandboxing. They've started adding multiprocessing and sandboxing to Firefox, which will help with the memory issue in the future and boost security. But it will also stop one bad webpage from crashing everything you have open.

Anyway, Firefox as it is now is going to die off, they are going to switch aware from their Mozilla software base to use Chromium - like Chrome, Opera, Vilvaldi and other web browsers do: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/11/future_of_firefox_is_chrome/

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

there is ( unless patched now) a huge issue with firefox writing  many GBs of data per day to SSD drives if it's is idling with tabs open - not good for SSD lifespans

https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eating-your-ssd-here-is-how-to-fix-it/

...At the very top of the list was Firefox, writing tirelessly at anywhere between 300K and 2MB per second to a file called “recovery.js”....Depending on what you’ve got open in your tabs, Firefox could be dumping tons of data into recovery.js, cookie* files, or both. Running at 1.1GB for every 45 minutes, you’re looking at ~35GB/day written to your SSD if you leave your machine running.

umbrokhan
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yeah it was ad blocker all this time making my web browser slow.  i deleted the ad blocker now its running really fast.  

my YouTube was lagging with ad blocker. now i can play YouTube video at 1080p at 60fps.

thanks very much for the help.

i didn't know Ad Blocker was this bad.

0 Kudos
kevnjohn
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have conducted some research and found Chrome is the best option here you can see more information http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-browser-internet-explorer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari...

0 Kudos
grumpydaddy
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you are prepared to look at the less well known browsers....

I have tried vivaldi and I like it but I would not call it fastest.

the one I have testing now IS faster. Take a look at Brave:

https://www.brave.com

Interesting chromium web browser... "blocks all ads and tracking making it faster and safer than your current browser."

Windows, Mac and Linux versions available
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

grumpydaddy wrote:
..... Take a look at Brave:

https://www.brave.com

.....Windows, Mac and Linux versions available

.....and IOS version!

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos