Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

BT's New 3 Disc Wi-Fi System

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

This looks like an interesting development by BT ... supplying 3 Wi-Fi extenders with their installation.  I wonder if VM will come up with anything similar?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Martin_D
Well-informed
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: BT's New 3 Disc Wi-Fi System

Hi, Dave_cq

Where on that page does it says they will be supplying them in the installation process. The extenders are just that you can buy them they will work on any provider

Virgin Media has same 3rd party options http://virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/powerline/extending-your-network.html

Welcome to the most friendliest community.

Have you got technical problem post it and we will help you fix it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Scroll down. You can pre order it now.

It "only" costs £299.99

You dont get it with any install FOC

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Scroll down. You can pre order it now.

It "only" costs £299.99

You dont get it with any install FOC

How much?!  You could almost buy your own ship for that!

In my experience a decent third party router for half that amount can give you full coverage or a couple of powerline adapters. Either would still leave you plenty change from £300.

Also why would anybody with BT need this setup when Ryan Reynolds says BT have the UK's most powerful WiFi.... unless of course he is lying or it only works when hovering above your property in a helicopter Smiley Very Happy

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, fair point Martin.  I obviously jumped to the wrong conclusion due to being bombarded by advertising ... I just assumed it was a new installation package.  The price is a bit prohibitive too.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
paulthepain
Just joined
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

does anyone have a devtce that can reach the bt hub at 200 m

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I do...

beretta.png

Smiley LOL

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well that's a faster way to turn off the BT WiFi public hotspot it broadcasts, much more response than their website to turn it off (in terms of setting it it to off and it recognizing the change - or remembering the change after you reboot the hub.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Some people will be delighted others will suffer Sod's law that where they want WiFi is not where the relay system will work well.

Also, there may well be howls from peops who can't get the full 80 meg on an extender due to the meshing.

However, if fitted to ceilings, and if propagation is 360deg up/down, it may welll be useful. But. Maybe not as useful as less costly Powerlines which can outpace meshed WiFi.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sephiroth wrote:
Some people will be delighted others will suffer Sod's law that where they want WiFi is not where the relay system will work well.

Also, there may well be howls from peops who can't get the full 80 meg on an extender due to the meshing.

However, if fitted to ceilings, and if propagation is 360deg up/down, it may welll be useful. But. Maybe not as useful as less costly Powerlines which can outpace meshed WiFi.

Yeah but "meshed WiFI" SOUNDS cool. So it MUST be good amirite?

0 Kudos