Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 8 (208 Views)

BT Line from street post to the roof - is it needed for Virgin telephone?

Hi

I am having the roof faschia replaced and the fitter wants to disconnect the BT line in from the post in the street to to roof. I cant see a problem with this - but want to be sure. Does Virgin phone need the BT line in for any Virgin service?

Tried ringing 150 but the options cant seem to cope with a general question like this.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 8 (402 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Micktrick001
2 weeks ago

Re: BT Line from street post to the roof - is it needed for Virgin telephone?

Micktrick001 wrote:

Hi

I am having the roof faschia replaced and the fitter wants to disconnect the BT line in from the post in the street to to roof. I cant see a problem with this - but want to be sure. Does Virgin phone need the BT line in for any Virgin service?

No, it's not required. VM makes no use of the BT network, likewise BT makes no use of the VM network. Different companies, different networks.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 8 (403 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Micktrick001
2 weeks ago

Micktrick001 wrote:

Hi

No, it's not required. VM makes no use of the BT network, likewise BT makes no use of the VM network. Different companies, different networks.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Joining in
Message 3 of 8 (201 Views)

Many thanks - I thought I had gleaned that from other messages in the forum, but there wasn't anything specific that I could find.

And thanks for the quick response.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 8 (199 Views)

No problem; I hope the home improvements go well Cat Happy

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8 (175 Views)

If you are talking about any BT wiring going from any master socket inside your home outwards (eg outside BT line to telegraph pole) you will find that it is illegal to interfere with it at all and only BT/Openreach can remove or alter it.  I would call BT and tell them you want it removed (no doubt you will be charged for the facility but at least you won't end up in court).

Tip of the Day: Don't eat yellow snow.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8 (87 Views)

Rising star
Message 7 of 8 (74 Views)

[ Edited ]

We had a similar issue - a house extension where the BT overhead cable came into the house. I have never used it so didn't see why it even needed to be relocated. I cut the cable and phoned openreach. Once I could get the computer to understand I wasn't a BT customer...

Me - "I no longer need the BT cable, so I cut it."
Openreach - "Why are you telling us?"
Me - "I have rolled up the cable and left it tidily hanging from the telegraph pole."
Openreach - "What??!! You have a hanging cable?"
Me - "Yes..."
Openreach - "That's a H&S issue. We'll sort it for you."

Within 30 minutes of the call an Openreach guy came out, climbed up the pole and cut the wire further up. 

Cost to me - £0! :-) 

Superuser
Message 8 of 8 (67 Views)

That's the way to go about it. Sure, the cable is their property, but as long as you cut it off at the end which hits your property they still have their cable  intact and it's off your property. Would be a different story if you cut it off at the pole and your home, but BT will do that pole cable cut anyway as has been posted.

- - - - - -
0 Kudos