Menu
PAULb12312
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Alarm Setup

Hi

I'm trying to set up my Alarm system with a static IP address, how do I set this up? Also what setting are used in the router to achieve this. I have many devices connect to my LAN already, and do not want to loose any connections, to my other devices
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Alarm Setup

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum,

To allocate a fixed IP address you will need the mac address of the alarm device ... it might be on a label on the unit itself or on the box it came in.

Once you have the mac address you need to login to your Super Hub's admin pages by entering 192.168.0.1 in your browser URL and log in.  Then look for the DHCP Settings page and the Add Reservation section.  Input the mac address and then allocate a fixed IP address to it .... and Bob's your auntie.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

People become very confused about static addresses. The method described above is not actually a static address, but an always assign this address to this device. This means DHCP is always used and when the lease runs out it matches the hardware address to its table of address and gives the device the same IP address.

A static address is one that is held on the device and the device does not use DHCP. This means there is no requesting and accepting of DHCP assigned addresses. This stops DHCP network traffic, which is very small, but can be very useful in certain circumstances. If you which to give any device a real static address just make sure it's out of the range of DHCP assigned addresses by your router/DHCP server.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum,

To allocate a fixed IP address you will need the mac address of the alarm device ... it might be on a label on the unit itself or on the box it came in.

Once you have the mac address you need to login to your Super Hub's admin pages by entering 192.168.0.1 in your browser URL and log in.  Then look for the DHCP Settings page and the Add Reservation section.  Input the mac address and then allocate a fixed IP address to it .... and Bob's your auntie.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
PAULb12312
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Dave_cq Top Man
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

People become very confused about static addresses. The method described above is not actually a static address, but an always assign this address to this device. This means DHCP is always used and when the lease runs out it matches the hardware address to its table of address and gives the device the same IP address.

A static address is one that is held on the device and the device does not use DHCP. This means there is no requesting and accepting of DHCP assigned addresses. This stops DHCP network traffic, which is very small, but can be very useful in certain circumstances. If you which to give any device a real static address just make sure it's out of the range of DHCP assigned addresses by your router/DHCP server.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't