TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Brainbox
mala8252

virgin or sky

a lot on here are saying they are going to sky as its cheaper, well i thought about it and did the sums, basically there is not much difference in the cost of either if you have the top packages, even if you mix them ie. phone and broadband off virgin, tv off sky. there is a difference of about 50p. so it all boils down to if virgin get bt sport and how much they will charge for it. i'm prepared to wait and see, you never know it might just be cheaper than getting it off sky.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
litefoot

Re: virgin or sky

[ Edited ]

But you get more with Sky - there's no Sky Atlantic on Virgin for a start.  If you're taking the premium channels, then you can't get SS3, SS4 and SSF1 in HD on Virgin either.

I'm currently looking at VM for the broadband and Sky for TV, at least for 12 months.  I'm not particularly bothered about the 2nd box I've currently got with VM and VM's refusal to allow the TiVo to suggest films means that one of its key selling points (at least AFAIC) isn't there.

I'm almost certain that BT Sport will be the same as it is on Sky - £12pm and £15 for HD.  The "negotiations" are how much of that VM will get because on Sky, BT are getting 100%.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
mala8252

thats because on sky you pay bt for the channels direct, bt's deal with sky was only to carry the channels on the sky epg.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
ajd126

Litefoot,

i have just cancelled my tv package and kept VM broadband and xl phone which will cost me £24.50 p/mth and no new contact with VM

Rang Sky and had their (entertainment extra +) tv package with sky sports 1,2,3,4 f1 with sports  h.d upgrade

1/2 price for 12 months.

sky+ hd box and free install.

sky tv/sports 1,2,3,4 f1 £52.50 @ 1/2 price = £26.25 + £5.25 hd sport total £31.50

total for VM bb xl phone and sky tv package £56.00 per month

hope this help you out !!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Jay2smooth

Hi, can I ask what BB package you are on?

Thanks

Jay

Please use plain text.
Wizard
litefoot

£24.50 pm sounds like 60mb - I was quoted £32.09 for 60mb + free evening and weekend calls (although this was for a new 12 months contract - not that much of a problem since the BT and Sky speeds offered weren't that impressive).

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
Tidgy

Lost alot of faith in VM over past 12-24 months.

Tv - On demand is constantly pixelating and crashing out (given up trying to get it fixed after multiple raised calls over 2 years), lost espn where i used to watch NBA, and rest of the chanels we tend to watch are on both sky and virgin.

Internet - 120mb is a joke, 6 mins of use and your into traffic management, so as long as you stay under 10% of your capacity your fine, o hang on??????

I dont have the option of BT firbre op, but if i did i'd sack off VM, connections speeds are good mate of mine gets 60d/30u and no limits on his connection.

You can now get sky plus through any net connection, so can fire that through bt fibre or sky fibre.

Simply put, if you have the choice of sky, BT and Virgin fibre op in your area, i would advise going with sky/BT combo, sky TV BT fibre.

Afraid VM is pretty second rate now.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
ajd126

£24.50 is for 60mb BB and unlimited talk phone, with no new contract.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
PrinterElf

Tidgy wrote:
Internet - 120mb is a joke, 6 mins of use and your into traffic management, so as long as you stay under 10% of your capacity your fine, o hang on??????

Oh noes, my 120Mb connection is throttled to faster than most of the country at 60Mb....

What do you desperately need 120Mb for that 60Mb won't suffice?

Loc: PR4 1, TV: XL+SkyHD, BB: 100Mbps
2x 1TB TiVo: {15.3.1.RC3-VMC-2-C00}
SuperHub: R37 {Modem mode}
I don't work for VM, and I don't plan to!
Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread (or if you're feeling brave, RTFM! :smileywink:)
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos + button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Gordy1965

[ Edited ]

PrinterElf wrote:

Tidgy wrote:

Oh noes, my 120Mb connection is throttled to faster than most of the country at 60Mb....

What do you desperately need 120Mb for that 60Mb won't suffice?

It's not the point of whether you need 120Mb or not it's what you are sold, told you will get and payed for.......Why the big sell and the cost of 120Mb then

Please use plain text.