TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
helenliz

connecting my dvd recorder to virgin set top box

HI I am a complete novice with electronics. My virgin set top box (not Tivo) was connected to my dvd recorder by a scart cable but engineer replaced my virgin box with a new one yesterday. I did not notice until today that he did not reconnect my new set top box to my dvd so I have tried to do this but my new box only has one scart connection which goes to my TV. So my issue is : can I get a cable which has scart connection at one end (for dvd) then connects in to virgin box  - "ethernet" or "usb" are the only two possible connections I can see so which dio I use (if any)? I would be very grateful for help as I cannot record anything at present

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Re: connecting my dvd recorder to virgin set top box

Connect your Virgin box to your tv with an HDMI cable instead...

Then just connect your Virgin box to your dvd recorder with a scart lead...

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

[ Edited ]

NightOwl wrote:

Connect your Virgin box to your tv with an HDMI cable instead...

Then just connect your Virgin box to your dvd recorder with a scart lead...

Assuming the OP's TV has an HDMI socket. If not, they will need a two-way Scart splitter, like THIS.

The ethernet socket is for possible future box networking to a TiVO on the same account. The USB is not used.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
helenliz

thanks its now working although I need to switch on my dvd player to enable ne to view cable

Please use plain text.
Bright Spark
StephenAllan

[ Edited ]

It's not working for me.  I have an hdmi cable going from the my VHD box to my tv and my tv only has 1 hdmi socket and a scart cable going from my vcr/dvd recorder combi to my VHD box and it does not work for me.  I have two scart sockets on the back of my vcr/dvd recorder combi and I tried using both with my scart cable connected from both to my VHD box.  I have had my tv since 2008.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Julesa75

If you connect the V box lead to the AVI 1 scart on your DVD recorder then connect a scart lead from AV2 (decoder) to your TV it will record. The only problem is you can't change channels whilst recording
Please use plain text.