TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
AdrianE

Youview?

Not sure where to post this, but since I can't get an answer from the 4 people I spoke to on the phone I thought I'd ask it here and see if anyone from Virgin knows the answer!

I'm a broadband and phone customer with VM and don't have, or want, a TV subscription.  The Humax YouView box does what I want.  Is VM involved with Youview in any way?

I know if you buy the box through BT you get extra On Demand channels provided by BT and it recognises when you connect the box to a BT internet connection and updates available On Demand services.  If I buy one of these boxes outright will VM be providing any VM specific content now, or in the future?

Regards

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

Re: Youview?

You can use a youview box on any broadband connection, but unless you get one from one of youview's "partners" (such as BT & TalkTalk) you will only get the basic features.

Basic Youview gets all it's streamed channels from Freeview, so you must have a TV aerial (and a decent signal) to access & record TV. The On Demand is limited to the catch-up services of the BBC, ITV, 4, 5 and Now TV from Sky.

I can't see Virgin going into partnership with Youview. The same goes for Sky. They have put their money into their own boxes for their own systems.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
AdrianE

It seems Sky can see a business case for being involved to a degree since NowTV is their product?

In any case I'm hoping someone who works for VM can comment on the potential for future on demand service availability and what they might be....

Won't stop me from buying the box, but would be nice to know if there were added value services coming along later - even if it was only a pay per view film option for that last minute film rent, although if love film get on board that'd probably cover that anyway

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

Yes, of course Sky has got involved. They have used their existing influence with the Hollywood studios to allow them to compete with LoveFilm & Netflix. It's also a hook to get prospective customers to go a step further and get Sky TV, which will always offer far more than they will ever put on Now TV.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.