TV

Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
One to Watch
pauldouglas

Watch TV on my laptop?

Am I correct in assuming there is no equivalent service to Sky Go?

If it is, when is a similar service planned to be avaible to watch Virgin TV live over the net?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

Re: Watch TV on my laptop?

No, threre isn't. From what I remember, Sky Go is also available to non-Sky subscribers for an additional charge. Most of the live channels not owned by Sky will probably have exclusive carriage deals in place as well. There is the Virgin Player that gives Virgin subscribers VOD content over the net, but I don't think we will ever see live channels available.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
pauldouglas

Why do you say we'll never see live channels available?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

Yet again it comes down to money. Sky can charge channels an additional fee to be included in Sky Go, and if they wish, an incentive to be exclusive to Sky's system. Virgin is a re-seller of channels, so conversely, must pay channels to carry their content, and hence would have to pay out even more to add this facility. You already see many moaning on these boards about lack of channels on Virgin's existing platform. 

With the huge investment Virgin is having to make to upgrade it's broadband, which it has done by selling off assets and closing call centres, I doubt they will entertain going in the direction of internet broadcast streaming anytime soon. 

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.