Settled in nicely I
carlol

V+hd 1080 setting problems

Hi

I am new to the forums & would appreciate any help.

I had virginmedia installed on saturday the 25th, 20mb broadband, m phone, & xl tv pack. The engineers turned up with the wrong box, a normal vhd box, when connect to my new full hd plasma via hdmi i could have the box set to 1080 wide and recieve a perfect picture etc. The problem is this, when an engineer came to replace the vhd box with the v+hd box (the one i ordered) he set it to 720 hd, when he left i decided to change it myself to 1080 wide. When i had done this the menu was very blurry & the picture went off & on on the tv, putting it back to 720 made everything fine again. Is this a limitation of the box as it is the same as the one i had nearly 3 and a half years ago. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thankyou

Carlol

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard III
Christopher_G

Re: V+hd 1080 setting problems

Hi,

No this should work fine, change the setting again today and see if it is still doing it

Chris Glen
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.
Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
carlol

Hi

I tried again today, worked ok for a couple of minutes then flickered on and off 3 times in 30 seconds or so, changed the hdmi lead but it made no difference. The menu also seems very blurry when i switch it to 1080 wide. Incidentally the v+hd box doesn't lose functions when it flickers off, and i have connected my ps3 via hdmi at 1080p and it works fine. Thanks for your reply

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard II
Robert_W

Hello carlol,

Just a thought, do you on your TV have control over whether the input is progressive or interlaced?

It's just that the 720 output from the box is progressive, whereas the 1080 is interlaced.

If your TV is expecting a progressive signal, but getting an interlaced one this could be the problem.

If you can try manually setting the TV input to interlaced, if possible and try it again.

Cheers

Robert Ward

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Whiz Kid I
Welcome__BHX

Is the V+ box a Scientific-Atlanta version or a Samsung version?

The Scientific-Atlanta version has issues with the menu being blurry in 1080 mode on virtually all TVs.

There may be no need for the V+ box to be in 1080 mode as most Plasmas are not at the resolution and therefore 720 is more than enough.

The wide and non-wide modes are just to stretch 4:3 programmes out to fill the screen, in non-wide mode the TV / box will still display widescreen programmes in widescreen.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
carlol

Hi

Thanx for the replies

The v+hd box is one of the old sa models, i have checked all the settings on the tv and can see nothing about interlaced or progressive scanning, although certain websites occasionally mention progressive scanning. The picture is more than acceptable on 720 it is just frustrating that i purchased a new tv with the intention of running the hd in full 1080. The initial new style vhd box i had prior to it being replaced with the v+hd box outputted 1080 perfectlyand the menus were crisp and clear, so it just seems to be that the older box has an issue with this. If it is of any help the tv is an LG 50PK350.

Thankyou

Please use plain text.
Whiz Kid I
Welcome__BHX

This will be down to the SA V+ having the blurry menu bug in 1080 mode.

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
carlol

Hi again

So is there anything i can do about this or is it a problem with all SA boxes ? Would the nice people at virgin be able to swap the box for the newer model to solve the problem or am i just stuck with it.

Thankyou

Please use plain text.
Tech Wizard II
Robert_W

Hi carl0l,

With regard to the blurry menu I'm afraid that it's not something we'd swap the box for at this time.

However, the blanking on 1080 may be cause for a technician. I have to say I was clutching at straws regarding the option for interlaced/progressive, but with so many different TV's out there...!

Anyway, if we book a technician to replace the V+, there is no guarentee that a Samsung V+ will be available even though it is more than likely. And if it was replaced with another SA V+ that resolved the picture issue but not the menu issue, that may be considered 'resolved'.

Finally of course if a swap occurs then any content on your current box would be lost if not archived/watched first.

So the question is do you want us to book a technician?

Let me know.

Cheers

Robert Ward

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

Please use plain text.
Settled in nicely I
carlol

Hi

Thankyou Robert_W, i would like to get it sorted if possible, just one final question, if an engineer is booked & the box swapped for the same model (hopefully the newer one though ) would i incur any charges should there be an incompatibility between my tv and the old sa box ( although as stated earlier the new vhd box was fine on 1080 )

Thankyou for your help

Please use plain text.