TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
spyburn

TV in Milton Keynes

I've lived in MK all my life (insert joke here...)

from my research it would seem that Milton Keynes has a copper / aluminium mix cable - for many years i enjoyed TV services supplied over the cable network direct into the preinstalled TV points in my house. 

in my new house i have tried to plug in the Rf cable to the socket on the wall without joy. 

I have called VM today to try and get the TV services up and running in my new home. (not a new build) -  I ended up in an argument with the lady in the call centre as she said i could not get cable TV down a copper cable from VM. I told her this is not what I've experienced in my previous house and not what is stated on the digital-switch-over mini site for MK. 

"Virgin Media have said ‘our ATV service in Milton Keynes will be unaffected by the national Digital Switchover programme. We will continue to provide the existing channels over the analogue platform as we have been doing so historically…’ So, households should still get those five TV channels after switchover. (http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/mkgrowth/displayarticle.asp?ID=73498)

could someone tell me what is actually fact -  can i or can i not get basic TV (bbc1/2, itc, c4 & c5) sent down this cable as i've experienced in previous properties? 

if so can someone from VM please tell me how i buy from you... you do not make it easy for me to become a customer. infect from the experience I've had today I'm not sure if i do want to be a VM customer if the experience I've had today is representative of VM customer service. 

please help -  can i get basic TV down my cable in MK?

thanks in advance

sam 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: TV in Milton Keynes

[ Edited ]

As far as I know Virgin have stopped taking on paying customers in MK so you can't 'become a customer' as such, but the BBC One - Channel 5 signal should still work

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
spyburn

rubbish! 

I want to pay them for a service I'm used to. 

the cable maybe able to distribute the signal but i need the point still needs to be activated (I'd guess)  -  which i guess I'll need them to accept payment for. 

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

The paid services in Milton Keynes both provided more channels than the basic BBC one - Channel 5

It's these paid services that have closed to new customers. But as I said above the basic five channels should still be available

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

Here is the official statement from Milton Keynes council

http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/mkgrowth/displayarticle.asp?id=73498

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
spyburn

I will retry attaching the rf cable to the tv and retune. However I've done this before and it didn't work. I will repost tonight with results. It's a shame because I want to pay £4 per month for this to happen seemlesley. If vm can't / won't get this act together to help me become a customer I'll have to pay sky for a multi room.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
connectionman

Hmm....Glad I came across this forum, as until I read this I was still under the impression that Virgin Media were going to completely shut down the old analogue service, and I could not understand why the digital switchover had apparnetly passed me by completely!    

This morning, BBC1 died half way through the re-run of Match of the Day, and I initially assumed that this was due to a long overdue shutdown of analogue  services.....However,  given that basic / analogue service  (according to previous posts) seems to still be available to existing customers , sounds like it is just knackered then?    So its  the rugby on radio 5 live for me today..  :-)

Roger.

Please use plain text.
adm
Wizard
adm

So that's when BBC1 died was it?  And ITV1 Central.  I did call VM about it (took far too long to get to the right department -- wasn't impressed with my first attempt which ended up getting transferred and getting an automated message saying that we're very busy so you may want to call back and disconnected me).

Perhaps it will come back within the 48 hours they suggested I should allow. I hope so - don't much fancy trying to call them back.

Please use plain text.
adm
Wizard
adm

Well, BBC1 has returned.  But the second ITV 1 channel (Central) is still black. 

Please use plain text.
adm
Wizard
adm

And it looks like the second ITV1 channel is back now.

Please use plain text.