TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Northwillrise

Subtitles on demand

I am astounded to discover, as a new customer, that your movies on demand do not come with subtitles. How am I supposed to watch them, then, as someone with hearing problems. This is shockingly bad in this day and age. I'd switch to sky but I'm not allowed a dish on my flat. I cannot express how disappointed I am in this. All I can find on your website is a document that was last updated in 2010 saying you were 'looking at it'
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Northwillrise

Re: Subtitles on demand

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Did you mean this one http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/dam/allyours/pdf/003722-TV-Accessibility-Doc-11dec.pdf

7.4 Accessibility for TV On Demand

Our TV On Demand service allows you to access thousands of TV shows, including those on
BBC iPlayer, ITV Net Player, 40D and Demand Five, plus over 500 movies and thousands of
music videos.

Since we launched our TV On Demand service, we’ve been aware that the lack of access
services has been a source of frustration to the many customers who rely on subtitles or audio
description. The problem is that, while on demand programmes look and feel like ordinary TV
shows, the technology behind them is very different. This means that providing access services
is very complicated – not just for us, but for on demand services from all providers.

That’s why we’re delighted to announce that the first version of our new TiVo product can
deliver subtitles on BBC iPlayer.

Here’s how to find them:

1. Go to ‘BBC iPlayer’, and choose
a programme to watch’

2. Now press the Left arrow button to go
to the S option (which means subtitles
are available) and press ‘OK’

3. Subtitles appear at the bottom of the
screen

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Northwillrise

Indeed those ones.

However I paid for a movie on the weekend and was unable to watch it because I couldn't hear half the dialogue.

And however technically 'difficult' it is, all on demand services on Sky come with subitles as standard.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Northwillrise wrote:

And however technically 'difficult' it is, all on demand services on Sky come with subitles as standard.

That's because Sky's On Demand services work differently - none of Sky's On Demand services use the same technology that Virgin does for their main On Demand service:

PPV Movies on Sky are normal channels but when you buy the film you are granted access for a limited period of time.

Anytime on Sky programmes are normal recordings that are set by Sky to record onto your Sky+/Sky+HD box via a hidden channel

Anytime+ works in a smiliar way as the iPlayer does on TiVo i.e. using internet based techology.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
deaf

Why were we lead to to believe - in a posting in 2010  I think - that you were going to put subtitles on your

on demand services in the near future???   What on eart ii the point on getting subtitles through your

bbc iplayer - I prefer to watch it on mhy computor.  BBC Iplayer, sky and ITV player all manage it.  I would

like the deaf community to make a noise about your failure.  Also - why when on the "on demand"

screen do your awful adverts for other programs/have to so LOUD.  KIt is really irritating.  I like so many other

deaf people ironically find sounds that are too loud v. pailful - so always have to remember to turn the sound

down before I go to the "on demand" option.

You seem stuck in the attitude now that you can do nothing about it.   The popultion is aging, most people grow a bit deaf as they get older - and I would like people to know how you have failed the deaf community before they sign up to you.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
pezza4u

I find it very annoying as well and it's the main reason I don't really watch on demand as I can't follow programs just by listening to them as I'm profoundly deaf. Even some of the TV channels don't have subtitles so I can't always follow them. The only way I can is by using headphones but then it means no one else can hear it.

Please use plain text.
Boffin
Pearce_G

Hi All

Thank you all for your concerns regarding the ondemand service and the lack of subtitling. I can understand your frustrations both personally and professionally.

As a service provider we have to rely heavily on content supplied to us by 3rd party companies such as the likes of Sky, BBC, Channel 4 and S4C. As your no doubt aware, BBC, Channel 4 and S4C can rely heavily on subtitling or audio description services.

Some movies provided to us to load into our ondemand service can come with subtitles, whether they hardcoded (1 file which has the subtitles already included) into the movie or they can come supplied as 2 separate files which we would load onto our servers. (The process is a little more complex but I wanted to give you a feel of what can happen). It is possible that the file containing the subtitles can be missed off accidentally and this can be corrected quite easily.

The main thing is that most of the ondemand content does not have this information provided to us. We get given the files and this is then loaded onto our servers. This is not a fault with the video ondemand service as the content provider is not giving us the information to begin with.

We are working closely with these companies to try and improve upon this.

I am sorry that I am unable to offer any assurances or alternatives but the purpose to this post is that we are here listening to what you guys are saying. We are always looking at ways at which we can improve our services that we offer.

Thanks

Gavin Pearce
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
daveingham

Dear Mr Virgin Media,

I went to Canada for a three week break and stayed with a friend in Canmore. He has a digital cable TV provided by Shaw Direct. I was astounded to see all of the on demand films were subtitled. They have the technology in place. What is even more impressive is I put a DVD on, switched on the subtitles (for the DVD itself), I found duplicate subtitles appearing - one from Shaw and another from the DVD itself. I simply switched off the DVD subtitles and found the Shaw subtitles to be very accurate. Now that is impressive. I do not understand why Virgin Media continues to struggle to provide a similar setup for the Tivo customers. 

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/customercare/accessibility.asp

They are 100% committed - I'd very much like to see Virgin Media do the same. 

We, deaf customers have been waiting patiently for years to see the on demand films apearing with subtitles. Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
fm48

Re: Subtitles on demand subtitles virgin movie

Hello

Could update the tstaus regarding subtitles virgin movies. I've lost £5 just to found out that I can not watch the moive.

Please use plain text.