TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
tomwgf

How to get Virgin Freeview TV through cable?

hi

i keep asking  Virgin but they do not answer. I want to get the Free Virgin TV, ie just freeview channels through my cable. It seems to be a service they used to offer and still have pages on their website about it. I have also read of poepl kicking  up  enough fuss can get it. If i buy an old virgin box on  ebay will that work?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
dannylau

Re: How to get Virgin Freeview TV through cable?

[ Edited ]

You can't make a stolen ebay box work on the virgin network as they do not allow it, the M service is discontinued you may be able to get it if you call retentions and you have phone and broadband but thay may just refuse as M+ is now the lowest tier

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
geordiechris

tomwgf wrote:

hi

If i buy an old virgin box on  ebay will that work?

In one word, No.

If you buy a box from ebay you will have wasted your money as the box will not be activated and VM will refuse to reactivate it. Whoever is advertising a box for sale on ebay is also breaking the law as it isn't theirs to sell, you rent your box from VM hence why you never get charged when there's a problem with it. You MUST get a box through them.

As for getting just the Free TV, I will wish you good luck on that one as they stopped giving people that deal ages ago and as far as i'm aware only give new customers the M+ package (which you pay for, the M package is what you are on about).

Please use plain text.
Superuser
Ernie_C

Forget wasting your money on a box not supplied by Virgin Media - it won't work.

The so-called 'free' TV M used to be available to those that paid for a landline. This is no longer the case.

The only way to get TV M now is via a particular bundle called the Classic Collection which I believe is only available to new customers.

http://store.virginmedia.com/bundles/classic.html

Having said all of this, it is worth going via the 'leaving us' option and requesting TV M and seeing what they say.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Gordy1965

Could also have been when you could put a F plug to TV coax adapter and plug it into you tv to get the basic channels. But this was only when analogue was still available.

I'm afraid there is no free tv with VM...........

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Gordy1965

Although there is this if you live outwith a cabled street but you have to take a bundle of BB and phone for £19.99 a month so not free really and it is just a Freeview box.

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/whatis/

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
SamKnows

[ Edited ]

No money from your tv licence goes to virgin so why should they be providing you free tv on there network which they have to pay for to maintain?

the mind boggles at some people's questions.

i can understand the old free box with a telephone line as you are paying a subscription, but free tv for nothing....:smileysurprised:

alright mr ford can you give me a free car to drive around in please, you have to maintain it and pay for it and I will drive it....

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tomwgf

thanks for all the answers.

i have ariel freeview, i just wanted to cut down on  the number of cables going  round the room. Also it may have been nice to have had pay to view movies. But if they dont want to offer it then thats that.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Pammay

Please tell me how I may get freeview 

thank you

pamelabealby@me.com

Please use plain text.
Superuser
nodrogd

[ Edited ]

Freeview (DTT) is built into all new TV's. Older ones should have a DVB or Freeview mark on them. If not a set top box is required. Ideally this should be connected to a rooftop aerial, but in areas close to the transmitter, a set top aerial can be used.

Freeview is not available on Virgin cable.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: XL TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), XL Telco, 100Mb BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Please use plain text.