TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Fresh as a Daisy
iceyuk01

Has V+HD box killed my TV???

This evening around 6:10pm my virgin box suddenly switched off while watching the news on live TV, my TV then decided a few seonds later while the box was booting to also swich off with a loud click....     V box got as far as displaying Ld:20 and I turned the TV on to be greeted with your virgin services will start shortly.   as it was stuck I put TV on standby, unplugged Vbox and left it 2 mins, plugged it back in and it got stuck at Ld:20 again.  open turning Vbox back on the TV clicked as if comming on, Vbox stuck at Ld:20 again and tv clicked several times so I pulled the plug.     Phoned Virgin and they said its a box fault, engineer come somtime monday.  due to no TV we went out for a meal and I got back 20 mins ago, put TV to watch a dvd and the TV is just making a clicking sound as if trying to turn on but then fron light (power/standbye) clicks 2 times fast x five flashes, then one long flash followed by a click, then 2 flashes x5 then a loud click again....    V box was connected by HDMI.  DVD by scart.  Vbox is obviously turned off at wall due to fault but the TV wont play ball!    Samsung V+HD Box and Samsung 51" plasma....            Think V+ has killed my telly :-(   its only 5 week old!     any ideas on trouble shooting this guys???

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Scott_C

Re: Has V+HD box killed my TV???

Hi iceyuk01,

The only connections between your V+ box and your TV is the HDMI cable and scart lead which goes to a DVD player, both of these cables do not carry a high electrical current. HDMI cables send electrical pulses so would not be able to damage your TV in that sense. Have your spoken to the manufacturer of your television to find out what this sequence that the TV is carrying out means? It sounds from how you describe it that the TV may be stuck in standby mode. Do you normally just use the standby button to switch the TV on or do you have to press a channel/number button on the remote? The technician that attends on Monday will be able to ensure the V+ box is operating correctly and that the electrical current coming from it is within the correct range.

Regards

Scott_C
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Jules1979

We've had a similar problem with our telly, the actual screen flashes and says 'no signal' the majority of the time when you try and switch it on, if it does switch on you can't ever switch it off again as you will have the same problem again - it can take days to get it to come on. We have put our smaller telly from upstairs in it's place and it doesn't have the same problem thankfully although occasionally it has phases of the picture flashing blue for a while.

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Scott_C

Hi Jules1979,

You should not be having to face this issue each time you wish to watch TV, do you have your V+ box setup via HDMI cable or scart? If it is set up via scart can you ensure the "TV auto detects scart" is set to on please. The can be found by pressing the following: Home > Settings > Display & audio settings > you should then see the above option. If you are connected via HDMI have you tried using a different HDMI cable to see if this resolves the issue. I can supply you with a HDMI cable if required it will be sent through the post to your home address.

Regards

Scott_C

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Jules1979

It's HDMi  - perhaps a new cable will sort it - thanks x

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Scott_C

Hi Jules1979,

I have just ordered a HDMI cable for you now, this will probably arrive along with the remote control now. They will both be separately packaged, the order number for the cable is 8562965 for your reference. If you give it a try with the new cable and let us no how you get on.

Thanks

Scott_C

Please use plain text.