TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Starviewnemises

Dodgy boxes

[ Edited ]

When will Virgin Media stamp out the dodgy boxes.

Everyone thought with the new Nagra 3 system that would bring it all to an end but clearly it hasn't.

On Ebay and forums like {removed} dodgy boxes are for sale and they even have the cheek to charge £25.00  for 6 month subscription or £45.00 for the year.

Card sharing is illegal in the UK so why haven't Virgin Media stamped it out by now.

Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

Re: Dodgy boxes

It's the police job to stamp out not virgins job. These boxes are not as annonomous as the old ones, it's much easier to get caught with thsese
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Starviewnemises

[ Edited ]
Malcolm Davies is the head of V.M. fraud squad and he has with his team in the last few years caught all the big sellers which has resulted in various sentences in prison for the offenders. From 18 months to a driver delivering them to 8 years to the top man in the game. Agreed to a point but only to a point about annonomous!! I know the servers are held in Korea so the chances of V.M. shutting them down are zero, but the way to stop it, is to hit the money men taking the payments surely. I mean it's easy enough with the div's taking payment through Paypal. They even have a dedicated forum to activate the box once payment has been made. I don't work for V.M. but I have worked for other cable providers over the years so have a basic understanding of how it works.
Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

I wonder if there is anything else that can be done, is it worthwhile Virgin going to that website and registering a dodgy box, is it then possible to get the IP addresses.

To be fair its probably hurtng sky more than virgin as most folk have these things to get sky sports which virgin make a pittance from anyway
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Starviewnemises

Hi JB

To be honest it is quite easy to catch them.

As you say, go to the site or Ebay and buy a box but not a new one.

They then contact the sellers for subsciption details on an old box, as new ones come with 6 months subscription on them already once the box is flashed.

They are then given the Paypal details and "hey presto"  they know where the money starts moving in the UK.

I have been researching lately and it is quite simple to catch them all in the UK.

It took me a few hours plus some understanding of how these boxes work and run to work out.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Starviewnemises

I have noticed the leader of the Starview team running the dodgy boxes details are now all over the net..!! so shouldn't be to hard to find.

over 7,000 boxes now on their system

1800 boxes went online with the first month and they are now averaging 1200 new customers per month.

The first 1800 have to pay again on the 15th of this month plus the 1200 a month going online so this month 3,000 customers will go on the system generating £75,000.

Who said crime doesn't pay.

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
tivoman

Virgin Media do and will hunt these people down - they will also prosecute.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/admit-running-pound-40m-TV-box-fraud-quiet-street/story-14078266-d...

FOUR men have admitted defrauding TV giant Virgin Media of up to £40 million.

The gang distributed an estimated 44,000 set-top boxes fitted with special software able to pick up Virgin channel packages without paying the company a fee.

[ Edited ]

Yes I know about this..

This was the last little group running the same scam..

The Paul mentioned was a member of the Leicester satellite suppliers selling boxes for many year..his partner was never arrested and got away scott free of course.

The same crew in Korea are behind this new group.

I recon they will get sentences between 3 and 8 years when sentenced in January.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Starivew

Admin can you forward me an email address for V.M. fraud squad please.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Starivew

[ Edited ]

Or ask the V.M. fraud squad to contact me

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts.
Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Please use plain text.