TV

Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
markallday

Digital Cable in Westminster

I have been a long standing customer (almost 10 years with NTL now taken over by
Virgin Media), however I have been waiting for a very long time now to get
details of when my local area (Westminster, London W1) will be upgraded to
digital cable. I have been previously told that this would happen 'within a few
years' ...that was back in 2003! The last time I was told it would be before the
analogue signals are switched off in London in 2012. Today I contacted your
customer service to be told that there 'are NO plans to upgrade this area'!!!!!
I can't even get sky sports channels anymore. I'm effectively paying £22.00 a
month for an out of date and inadequate service! Can someone please tell me why
I am not getting a clear answer to this problem and also convince me of the benefits
of staying with the rather poor and outdated service I am currently paying
for? The current analogue reception is poor quality and offers only a handful of channels. Satellite dishes are not an option for many here in Westminster as the council forbids dishes being erected in conservation areas.

I find it incredible that in all these years there are STILL no plans to upgrade the service. I’m afraid the time
is coming closer for me to disconnect from Virgin Media service unless I can get a clear idea of how much longer I will have to wait.

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Brian_J

Re: Digital Cable in Westminster

Hi markallday,

Can you send me a private message with your full postcode and house number so i can find your account.

Thanks

Brian_J
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
markallday

Will do Brian...thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

That will be because bt own the cables virgin use and they won't upgrade them
No longer registered
Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Collette_T

Hello markallday,

I have done a bit fo research to find out what I can about this area and any possible plans to upgrade it to digital.  The fact that it is a conservation area restricts us from being able to do the work needed to upgrade it to a digital service.  I typed into a google search "digital upgrade westminster" and found some useful links with information relating to this issue.  I hope that helps answer any queries.  

Thanks.

Collette
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
markallday

That's all very well, however I still have had no satisfactory explanation regarding this issue or why I'm spending £22.00 a month on an extremely poor service, I've still had no indication of any long term plans for Westminster or the service I'm paying Virgin Media for. It seems to me Virgin are playing the 'pass the buck' game in Westminster and blaming BT is a pretty poor way to fob paying customers off. In all the years I've been a customer I've never ONCE had any letter or communication explaining the situation in Westminster or offering any sort of apology. Not good enough really. 

Please use plain text.
Mythical
jb66

Something along the lines of....

Dear customer, We are sorry the equipment we rent from bt has not been upgraded.

No longer registered
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
markallday

Even that would be a start! However a conspiracy of silence and lack of information has almost made me finallly decide to leave Virgin. Any official explanation or statement of future aspirations in my area would help...but nothing, the usual old 'it's not our fault' is being given. I would think the huge population in this part of London would spur Virgin to be more pro-active in trying to attract potential customers but it's clear they really don't care. Shame really!

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Sim116s

[ Edited ]

Hi Markallday,

I had the same problem which I posted here a few days ago,

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV/Tried-all-options-When-CableMySreet-virginmedia-co-uk-isnt/td...

I know it sound weird but because of the place I live in (flat with no dishes allowed, no tv aerials which means no freeview and walls as think as a castle which also means no indoor freview aerials) I'm actually trying to get ON to the analogue service to at least get some sort of tv service!!

I tried emailing CableMyStreet (twice, each time they gave me two completely different answers until I called them on there actually being an analogue tv service which i was happy to join) but they were happy to basically give polite two fingers at me telling me that they weren't taking any new customers in the Westminster area and only looking after the current customer base with no alternatives given at all. I know its no cancellation but it helps knowing I'm not the only person in Westminster who is having this problem with the council and virgin.

Si

Please use plain text.