Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Black line down side of TV screen

[ Edited ]

Can't explain this at all...

Okay - so I've not long bought an HDTV...
Chuffed to bits with it I am...

http://www.johnlewis.com/231209826/Product.aspx

Have got it connected - via HDMI - to the following...

Virgin Media V HD Box
HDD Recorder

Obviously I watch it through the Virgin Media direct connection via the V HD Box...
Everything is fine - SD pictures are perfect - HD pictures are pristine...
However - when I swap to the HDD source to watch stuff I've recorded on my external drive...
Obviously, the TV picture is still there...
Only there's this inch wide black line down the left hand side of my screen...

Anything I record - I do so through the AV2 channel on my HDD...
I appreciate I'm not recording the 'true' output that I see when watching through the V HD Box...
I just don't understand though why this black line is apparent...
It's not constant either - that's the thing I can't get my head around...
Sometimes when I switch to HDD Source, there may or may not be this irritating black line...
And obviously, if it's there - that's what I'm going to be recording...
Thing is though - it's so random and intermittent...
For instance - I started watching a film the other day...
No black line whatsoever whilst watching on my Virgin Box source. There never is...
When I swapped to the HDD source - there it was...
What's even weirder is the fact that only last night, whilst watching through the HDD source...
No black line at all during the opening credits...
Yet as soon as the film started - there it was...

I just don't get it...

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Robert_W

Re: Black line down side of TV screen

Hi NightOwl,

(Nice TV!)

Have you noticed whether the line actually covers part of the picture or does the picture appear to have shifted over a bit?

From your post I gather that the HDD recorder also connects via HDMI to the TV, so that should be OK in of itself.

Something you could try for us, is the SCART from the VHD box to the HDD recorder, plug it in to the TV instead, for a visual comparison.

Obviously, if you get the same issue from the SCART output it would appear to be the box.

Regarding the Movie, when it changed after the credits, that is almost certainly due to the broadcaster, they would show the full film size so all the credits appear but then may change to a Pan and Scan for the movie proper, although this shouldn't introduce a bar as you describe.

Can you go in to settings and check what the SCART is set to output, make sure it's set to widescreen.

Cheers

Robert Ward
Help & Support Forum Team

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

[ Edited ]

Robert_W wrote:

Hi NightOwl,

(Nice TV!)

Have you noticed whether the line actually covers part of the picture or does the picture appear to have shifted over a bit?

From your post I gather that the HDD recorder also connects via HDMI to the TV, so that should be OK in of itself.

Something you could try for us, is the SCART from the VHD box to the HDD recorder, plug it in to the TV instead, for a visual comparison.

Obviously, if you get the same issue from the SCART output it would appear to be the box.

Regarding the Movie, when it changed after the credits, that is almost certainly due to the broadcaster, they would show the full film size so all the credits appear but then may change to a Pan and Scan for the movie proper, although this shouldn't introduce a bar as you describe.

Can you go in to settings and check what the SCART is set to output, make sure it's set to widescreen.

Cheers

Hi Robert

Thanks! It's a fantastic TV, it really is....

Does everything but make the tea...

Seeing as I only drink soup though - it's not an issue. :smileyvery-happy:

Will get back to you on this...

It's like Spaghetti Junction behind all my audio visual ' stuff ' - and it's getting on a bit...

Can't be doing with all that fiddling with wires at this time of night...

Besides - this lovely chilled glass of wine I'm currently enjoying would be in danger of getting a bit warm...

And that would never do. :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Apologies for the delay...

Bit of a night when I last posted... :smileytongue:
We need an 'embarrassed' smiley on here...

The line covers part of the picture - it definitely doesn't squish it in any way...

Transpires that I need a Scart connector...
My TV doesn't have a standard Scart input...
It's the red, white and yellow connector that it would appear I need...?
Could someone please clarify that...
If that's indeed the case - then I need to buy one...
When I have, I'll try it out - then post back the results...

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Okay, so I've tried a Scart - and everything is still the same...
It would indeed appear to be the V HD Box that is the problem...
Was watching something the other day, checked for the black line on the HDD source...
There wasn't one...
About 10 minutes into the programme, the screen went black for 5 seconds...
Audio though was still there...
When the picture returned, there was the black line...
This has happened intermittently for the last week or so - all whilst connected via HDMI...
On one occasion, I recorded something on Catch Up...
Only to find, on playback, that the line was there...

It hadn't been on the original programme...

Could I please arrange for an engineer to bring a new V HD Box asap...
A morning appointment would be preferred if available...

Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Mick_R

Hi NightOwl,

I have sent you a private message regarding this.

Cheers

Mick

Mick R
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
NightOwl

Hi Mick - thanks for your reply.

Have sent you a PM...

Please use plain text.