Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

run in internet browser on a smart TV ?

possible or not ? I have used my device limit so cannot easily test. but my samsung tizen Tv has a n internet browser, so TVA in that would be like TVA in IE, Firefox or  Edge on a windows PC ?

all within the device so no HDMI out issues, and no modified device issues ?

I have that tv in a different room to my Tivo and don't want to rent a 2nd Tivo just for the BT sport...

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: run in internet browser on a smart TV ?

no joy- but that's not to say that other makes of smart TV may not work

i went to the anywhere.virgin.. url - got unsupported browser warning- I ignored that and logged in with the tv remote and on screen keyboard ( the TV remote direction keys act like a very slow mouse )-

I could then do all the "manage my tivo " stuff, but when i chose to watch a live channel - expect to see a " register this device" message - simply nothing happened

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's what I'd expect to happen. It would likely be the same with Sky Go.

You're trying to get multiroom without paying for an additional set top box!!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

"That's what I'd expect to happen. It would likely be the same with Sky Go" - Well  for the record- sky GO allows casting:

http://www.androidcentral.com/skys-now-tv-adds-google-chromecast-support-latest-update

actually i am simply trying to get tv anywhere - to work anywhere  without the stupid limitations.  

all I watch is the BT sport football. I am already paying for 200 unwatched trash tv channels on TV-XL just to get BT sport, there's no way I want to pay even more and have even more cable coming through the walls for an extra tivo.

It's no pain, and much better choice & picture quality , to use PC +  ace stream / sopcast every Saturday but try to be legit & this is what you get....

I can watch TVA in this room on either of my tablets, or on my PC ( but i cannot register  all 3  because of the 2 device limit ) and it still does not work in chrome. I can run the PC into HDMI on the TV and watch like that, but I can't  wire or cast a tablet to  the same TV as that breaks a different rule... it's not supported in fire tv stick or roku ; trailing a 15 metre HDMi cable up the stairs from the  downstairs TIVO would work but is not neat...

I have no interest in "cracking" but probably  PC -> TV via HDMi and then record the stream onto USB stick in a different TV socket would work, as the TV has that capability- so much for uber-security - if not that, then the stuff that folks use on PCs to get their gameplay onto youtube , lke Nvidia Shadowplay, probably works, so that no casting rule becomes pointless

I also note in passing that there's a long list of devices that not allowed to stream TVA because of insufficient security or other objections. The Flagship Google PIXEL C £400 android 6 tablet is on that list ! - android 6 has insufficient securtty ???- a bit rich coming from the guys who can't even secure their own email platform

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Now TV is not Sky Go.

Sky Go comes free, like TV Anywhere, when you are paying for a Sky TV subscription.

Now TV is a separate, chargeable service.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

my mistake - but SKY owns NOW TV and the article says "Sky has updated its NOW TV mobile apps to add Google Chromecast support,"- the point being that VMs main competitor now lets a mobile app cast to a bigger screen.

also, last time my son in law was here he had the sky footie playing on our big screen via a cable from his smartphone, which was running ( I think) sky go 

this post and others in the same thread seem to confirm that:

"However, just for arguements sake. Sky Go on my Asus Transformer tablet, connected my min HDMI to HDMI cable to my tv, opened up sky go &  started watching something & set it to full screen & it sent the video & audio to my TV."

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Chromecast-Support-for-Sky-Go/td-p/1865282

0 Kudos