Menu
Sea_Skimmer
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

no free tv ?

How come on FreeSat my mate can get a lot more channels than I can for free without paying for them ?

For example on virgin media tv you can only get the horror channel if you have the M+ package yet he get this for free !

If its free then why do I have to pay more for a channel that aired free ?

There's a lot of other channels I don't get on my lowly virgin package that he gets for free on his FreeSat.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: no free tv ?

....and I'm sure that there are some channels you get on TV M that he doesn't get on Freesat.

All services have a 'free' package.

Terrestrial TV has Freeview, Satellite TV has Freesat and Cable TV has TV M,

They all have their own, different set of channels.

0 Kudos
Sea_Skimmer
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Pretty obvious I get some he doesn't as im paying for it !

My opinion is that if he can get them free because they are free why doesn't virgin media put these as standard in all their packages ? Instead you get countless +1 channels just to make it look like your getting more channels for your money when your actually only getting repeated shows an hour later.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sea_Skimmer wrote:

Pretty obvious I get some he doesn't as im paying for it !

My opinion is that if he can get them free because they are free why doesn't virgin media put these as standard in all their packages ? Instead you get countless +1 channels just to make it look like your getting more channels for your money when your actually only getting repeated shows an hour later.

They are not as "free" as you might think. Every platform a broadcaster chooses to join they have to pay for. Those with the bigest outlay can afford to join all the platforms. Those with a smaller outlay tend to go for just satellite, where they pay the operator (usually SES in Belgium, that owns the Astra cluster Sky dishes are aimed at) to lease a transponder, & then rent an EPG slot off of Sky or Freesat. Virgin owns & operates everything on its own network, so its costs are higher. It also has fewer customers. Having said that, being a subscription service, a cut of subscriber income can also be part of the deal.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos