Menu
WildThing
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

iPhone and Sky Sports app "no subscription" error

About 20% of times that I open the sky sports app on my iphone it tells me I need a subscription to Sky Sports and opens its Virgin Media help page. This has happened on different wifi networks on both my present iphone 6 and previous iphone 5s over a period of nearly 2 years. I only have one device registered throughout except for a brief period when both old and new phone were showing as my devices. I have searched for similar posts on here but not found any. Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: iPhone and Sky Sports app "no subscription" error

Hi WildThing, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having with this error. 

Whenever you change something on your account, it's likely the app is updating with the new information so will show this error. 

Also it will come up if you are trying to access something that is only available to Sky Customers. 

Are you seeing this error currently? 

If so what are you trying to view?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi WildThing,

Thank you for getting back to us. I hope you don't mind that I've picked up your post, as Kath's away for a bit. I certainly appreciate how frustrating that this issue with Sky Sports app on the TV Anywhere service is.

Sometimes updates (the Sky Sports TV Anywhere app) can cause an issue like this. But you should only rarely come across it and I know that updates run overnight in the wee hours of the morning usually. If you are getting this error often (in my opinion, 20% of the time is too often), then we need to investigate this further.

I have re-synchronized the Sky TV Anywhere app on your account from our system. 

If you could let me know when this happens again with the time of day/evening, then I can check to see what's happening--on our side--at the time this is occurring. 

Kind Regards,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi John,

Glad to hear that the problem isn't as prevalent as before. Please keep in touch and let us know if we can help further.

Cheers,

Terri

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi WildThing, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having with this error. 

Whenever you change something on your account, it's likely the app is updating with the new information so will show this error. 

Also it will come up if you are trying to access something that is only available to Sky Customers. 

Are you seeing this error currently? 

If so what are you trying to view?

Let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
WildThing
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath and thanks for your input. I'm not sure what you mean by updating my account. If you mean my subscription to Virgin Media then this has not changed since I joined. If you mean things like software updates to the iOS or Sky Sports App I suppose that is possible. I also note that Virgin TV Anywhere seems to require a login at least once a month, perhaps this is the problem. Today I can watch Sky Sports News, SS1 - 5 and SS F1 with no problem. I usually watch at the gym where there are two wifi networks available but this does not seem to be the reason as switching network does not solve the problem. One of the networks is not very fast but if speed or bandwidth are inadequate, then, rarely, buffering occurs, not the refusal of service

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi WildThing,

Thank you for getting back to us. I hope you don't mind that I've picked up your post, as Kath's away for a bit. I certainly appreciate how frustrating that this issue with Sky Sports app on the TV Anywhere service is.

Sometimes updates (the Sky Sports TV Anywhere app) can cause an issue like this. But you should only rarely come across it and I know that updates run overnight in the wee hours of the morning usually. If you are getting this error often (in my opinion, 20% of the time is too often), then we need to investigate this further.

I have re-synchronized the Sky TV Anywhere app on your account from our system. 

If you could let me know when this happens again with the time of day/evening, then I can check to see what's happening--on our side--at the time this is occurring. 

Kind Regards,

Terri

WildThing
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kath. I think as I use the SS App more frequently lately the incidence of the error becomes more like 5% and falling. Thanks for all your help and I will let you know if it happens again.

Kind regards

John
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi John,

Glad to hear that the problem isn't as prevalent as before. Please keep in touch and let us know if we can help further.

Cheers,

Terri

WildThing
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri

Same problem again tonight at 20.18 on Wifi at the gym, so I tried downloading Sky Movies, signed in with my Virgin ID and it ran fine. Then tried Sky Sports on 3 network and again on Virgin Wifi at home, still no joy. Can't think of anything else to try. I'm pretty sure I've tried deleting Sky Sports App and reloading in the past to no avail. I'll be interested to see if you find anything on your side.

Kind regards, John.
0 Kudos
WildThing
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

After two more days of no Sky Sports I deleted and re-installed the app and this time it did the trick.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi John, 

Thanks for coming back and letting us know things are all working for you now. 

If you have any further issues, come back here and let us know so we can take another look at things for you. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team