Menu
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Will TV Anywhere ever work properly?

I have now tried TV Anywhere on 6 devices on 3 different internet connections over the space of 2 years.  It buffers, skips, repeats & stalls so frequently that  I have never been able to watch a single show uninterrupted since I started using it.  Wired or wireless makes no difference.  iPlayer, 4od, Sky Go, Demand 5, ITV Player all absolutely fine.  Flash is up to date in a supported browser.

There is nothing wrong with my equipment, and if the other streaming services working fine are any indication (they should be), there's nothing wrong with my laptop(s), phones, home internet connection or the two other (Virgin) HOME networks that I have used.

Also, now that BT Sport have exclusive rights to Champions League football, the entire platform falls over in its entirety for the duration of the game EVERY TIME there's a big match on, then springs to life miraculously immediately the game is over.  On each occasion, you seem to think your engineers have done a wonderful job of fixing it.  Let's face it, it doesn't take a genius to work out what the problem is.  Is adding extra capacity really that hard? Perhaps you don't have the budget, or are trying to protect multi-room revenue, but obviously, fixing this is no sort of priority.  But you still want more of my money for it.

I wasn't too impressed to have to go over to Sky to watch Sky Sports when the changes happened, but in fact it's the only service I can rely on to be able to see matches.  Not only that, the stream is in HD, better than even the picture on our TiVo box, and certainly miles ahead of TV Anywhere.  Buffering is rare, and you can genuinely forget that you're watching an internet stream.

This isn't good enough,and I'd like to know what Virgin Media are doing about it.  It genuinely looks like nothing whatsoever from here, and it's cheeky at best to cite TV Anywhere as a justification for more price rises when it is clearly unfit for purpose.

Once again I invite any other users that manage to successfully watch streaming on TV Anywhere without the problems that I am having to post here & say so. I couldn't be more confident that there is nothing wrong with the many devices & internet connections that I have used, which all exhibit identical behaviour, ie: the stream just stops about every 5 minutes or so & requires a refresh to get going again.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will TV Anywhere ever work properly?

I don't have any issues with TVA on my Mac Book Air or iPhone 6s. I use it all the time when not at home and sometime even at home when the main tv is being watched by my partner.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well that is interesting.  All evidence available to me tells me the problem has to be at Virgin's end.  Your experience suggests otherwise.  Well that, or TV Anywhere prefers apple products, but the laptops I have used have all been decent spec (i5 or i7 chip. 6-8GB RAM) & are used for music production & video rendering, tasks they handle with ease.

For the sake of my sanity, can any non-Superusers that also use the service regularly provide a positive report?  And 

Why am I having such a bad experience with it?

Crockret
Well-informed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Also, now that BT Sport have exclusive rights to Champions League football, the entire platform falls over in its entirety for the duration of the game EVERY TIME there's a big match on, then springs to life miraculously immediately the game is over.  On each occasion, you seem to think your engineers have done a wonderful job of fixing it.  Let's face it, it doesn't take a genius to work out what the problem is.  Is adding extra capacity really that hard? Perhaps you don't have the budget, or are trying to protect multi-room revenue, but obviously, fixing this is no sort of priority.  But you still want more of my money for it.

Another big match, another complete failure for TV Anywhere.  And still you treat it like a unique fault that your engineers have magically fixed (after the game when demand has dropped off.)

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I must of spoke too soon. I went to use TVA last night on my iPhone to just set a recording and guess what? It did not work and would not let me log in at all giving a high demand error.

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
0 Kudos
Crockret
Well-informed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your responses, and sorry if I sounded mildly dismissive before, it's just that in my experience, Superusers sometimes seem to back VM blindly.

Of course everyone is affected by the capacity issues that have been going on every big football matchday for the last 18 months. But when it "works", you don't have the constant stream interruptions that I am stuck with?

I am genuinely interested to hear the thoughts of any other community members with regards to streaming quality, be it good or bad.
vsdoc
Settling in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Completely agree with you. The TV Anywhere app is not fit for purpose and anytime there is any football showing on BT sports it is guaranteed to freeze up. I have recently joined Virgin and can say that the app is hugely inferior to the Sky Go app which worked overtime for the 2 years I was with them. I will be writing a formal complaint to Virgin as I do not believe that I should be paying the monthly fee for a service that is only working some of the time.

Tojohunter
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I honestly believe that Virgin are on a sticky wicket promoting TV Anywhere. I have NEVER been able to watch a full programme from beginning to end ever, without getting the streaming fault, followed by the too busy notification.

A non starter of a service, at any time of the day or night. Leaves any contract with them untenable on their part.

They really don't give two shiny **bleep**es tho'
Johan
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Another night with no TV on the go, This is not good, unable to get sky sport on my imac, constant server errors and time outs.....rubbish

davidsmith123
Just joined
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

After reading and agreeing 100% with your post two months ago (as would have the virgin media team) i was hoping that something would be done about it by now BUT no another big night of football and another automated message on status page saying engineers on way eta fix 10.00pm .

Yes we are all buttoned up the back virgin media thank you