Menu
c_note
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Why still a Flash based player?

Why is Virgin TV Anywhere the only company using a Flash based player, why?

We've all know since the late 90s that Flash is incredibly unstable and its reflected in this appallingly bad application. It constantly crashes and riddled with buggy behaviour which means I rarely if ever get an uninterrupted enjoyably user experience.

Look at your competitors and learn, don't waste time trying to fix this bad application. I see on these forums that people are still having the same issues that they have had for many years ago.

androiduser
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why still a Flash based player?

HTML 5 is expected these days. Flash is just holding the world back.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

c_note wrote:

Why is Virgin TV Anywhere the only company using a Flash based player, why?

They aren't.

The BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and UKTV Play all use Flash based websites. Sky use Microsoft Silverlight for their Sky Movies and Sky Sports website.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

One of the programs we use at work is in the process of converting from Silverlight to HTML5 apparently it's one of the biggest silverlight programs in existence 

0 Kudos
c_note
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Surprise surprise the free to air rubbish uses the same technology, I rarely if at all watch that, I should have qualified that statement as I pretty much only watch paid for TV - Sky Sports, BT Sport but there are often things I like such as Comedy Central but once the TV Anywhere player starts crashing its every 5 mins, last year it was the lagging issue.

When I compare quality I look to the best and the performance of Sky Sports and BT Sports online players is light years ahead. BT Sport had horrendous problems after launched but they fixed it within a month or so. Year on year TV Anywhere has the same long standing issues.

I know building software can be difficult but are some getting it so right and others so badly wrong. Why?
0 Kudos
Mobes
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ben mate, it's Mobes from Cable Forum.

What on earth's going on with TV Anywhere????

It's constantly breaking up, repeating, skipping, being out of sync... bloody terrible.

0 Kudos