Menu
Reply
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
alansbrown
Joining in
316 Views
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?  My laptop streams BBC iPlayer with only very occasional problems, yet TV Anywhere freezes and fails constantly, every couple of minutes, making it unwatchable.

0 Kudos
  • 7.18K
  • 233
  • 524
Forum Team
Forum Team
277 Views
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

Hi alansbrown,

 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting on the Forum.  Sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem viewing TV Anywhere via your laptop. I can certainly understand how frustrating this can be, especially when the BBC iPlayer works without any issues. 

 

I just have a few questions, so I can investigate this problem for you. 

 

  • Have you tried accessing TV Anywhere using any other device other than your laptop? 
  • What browser are you using? If you are using Google, could you please try IE?
  • Have you tested this on a different WiFi connection other than your connection at home?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

 

Thank.


Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help


0 Kudos
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
alansbrown
Joining in
254 Views
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

I have only tried this on my laptop using IE.  I have now tried using a different WiFi connection and performance is much better, with only occasional interruption, so my router may be a problem.  But why does iPlayer work perfectly well, whereas TV Anywhere does not?

0 Kudos
  • 20.98K
  • 771
  • 1.56K
Forum Team
Forum Team
218 Views
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

Hi alansbrown, 

 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

 

It's great that we've been able to establish where the issue lays here. 

 

With the router, doing something as simple as changing the channel can have a big impact so this is where I would start. This link should help: http://virg.in/shubchan

 

I can't really answer why it's affecting you for TV Anywhere and not BBC iPlayer. Maybe one of the Superusers will know if there are any differences? Smiley Happy

 

Let us know how things go after changing the wireless channel. 

 

Speak soon, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out



0 Kudos
  • 4.32K
  • 104
  • 1.16K
frank_gm
Community elder
196 Views
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?


Kath_F wrote:

Hi alansbrown, 

 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

 

It's great that we've been able to establish where the issue lays here. 

 

With the router, doing something as simple as changing the channel can have a big impact so this is where I would start. This link should help: http://virg.in/shubchan

 

I can't really answer why it's affecting you for TV Anywhere and not BBC iPlayer. Maybe one of the Superusers will know if there are any differences? Smiley Happy

 

Let us know how things go after changing the wireless channel. 

 

Speak soon, 


An employee of VM cannot answer a question regarding the performance, or not, of VM services and, instead, refers the enquirer to other customers to help out. Unbelievable!

 

I am sure that there have been maybe one or two posts over the last few years pointing out that iPlayer works while TV Anywhere does not. Is the official VM position now that they do not have a clue and want their customers to solve the company's technical issues for them Smiley Happy

 

 NB. I added the smiley because you seem to think that not answering customers questions is funny.

 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
  • 887
  • 69
  • 274
Crockret
Well-informed
185 Views
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

Yep. Top shrugging, Kath.

0 Kudos
  • 20.98K
  • 771
  • 1.56K
Forum Team
Forum Team
161 Views
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

Hi frank_gm and Crockret,

 

Thank you for your post on this thread.

 

The purpose of the Community Forum is to provide assistance and support. We actively encourage our users to help each other and we will offer support if the Community has not responded or if we can see a loss of service issue.

 

We always welcome suggestions on how to improve our service and we always take customer's issues seriously, but we do it in a friendly manner. 

 

If you have useful information to offer alansbrown as to why he would have a problem with TV Anywhere, but not BBC iPlayer, on his WiFi connection, please don't hesitate to help your fellow user out. 

 

Alansbrown has already advised that both work fine and the same when connected to another Virgin Media network. I offered the best advice based on the information available to me. 

 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out



0 Kudos
  • 4.32K
  • 104
  • 1.16K
frank_gm
Community elder
158 Views
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?


Kath_F wrote:

Hi frank_gm and Crockret,

 

Thank you for your post on this thread.

 

The purpose of the Community Forum is to provide assistance and support. We actively encourage our users to help each other and we will offer support if the Community has not responded or if we can see a loss of service issue.

 

We always welcome suggestions on how to improve our service and we always take customer's issues seriously, but we do it in a friendly manner. 

 

If you have useful information to offer alansbrown as to why he would have a problem with TV Anywhere, but not BBC iPlayer, on his WiFi connection, please don't hesitate to help your fellow user out. 

 

Alansbrown has already advised that both work fine and the same when connected to another Virgin Media network. I offered the best advice based on the information available to me. 

 

Thanks,


Perhaps "the best advice based on the information available to me" might have been to inform the OP that, from reading the huge number of posts on this forum, TV Anywhere is, to put it mildly, pretty ropey.

 

The iPlayer app,on the other hand, appears to have been written by developers who have a clue.

 

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
  • 885
  • 35
  • 477
HughJarsse
Well-informed
147 Views
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?


frank_gm wrote:

Kath_F wrote:

Hi frank_gm and Crockret,

 

Thank you for your post on this thread.

 

The purpose of the Community Forum is to provide assistance and support. We actively encourage our users to help each other and we will offer support if the Community has not responded or if we can see a loss of service issue.

 

We always welcome suggestions on how to improve our service and we always take customer's issues seriously, but we do it in a friendly manner. 

 

If you have useful information to offer alansbrown as to why he would have a problem with TV Anywhere, but not BBC iPlayer, on his WiFi connection, please don't hesitate to help your fellow user out. 

 

Alansbrown has already advised that both work fine and the same when connected to another Virgin Media network. I offered the best advice based on the information available to me. 

 

Thanks,


Perhaps "the best advice based on the information available to me" might have been to inform the OP that, from reading the huge number of posts on this forum, TV Anywhere is, to put it mildly, pretty ropey.

 

The iPlayer app,on the other hand, appears to have been written by developers who have a clue.

 


Spot on Frank...Kudos point there matey, 

 

Really should be called TV nowhere, sometimes, maybe..

 

Once again something that seemed like a good idea, until Virgin got hold of it...much like Tivo...another 'misses more than it hits' job.

One reason I refuse to have a Tivo,and still have a V+ box...at least it is reliable and works as it should!!  which is more than TV nowhere and Tivo..Smiley Very Happy

  • 3.99K
  • 202
  • 893
cybmole
Community elder
107 Views
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why is TV Anywhere so unreliable?

simples - and proven some time back in technical post with packet analyses to support:

TV anywhere is badly coded, it does not buffer or read ahead and needs a perfectly stable feed.

Other streaming offerings, netflix, Iplayer are simply much better designed and will auto-downgrade but keep working even on bad wifi

It is also likely, but hard to prove, that  TV anywhere servers are under-resourced, so anything popular like live football fails to keep up with demand.

0 Kudos