Menu
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Why do you bar Linux users from TV Anywhere?

I tried to view a program from TV Anywhere and a message popped up to say that I needed Flash version 12 or greater. This, as you should know, is impossible for a Linux user. Can you explain why you have this peculiar rule?

Secondly, why aren't you providing your service via HTML5? This would make your service available to all users and also cut out the frequent troubles with Flash security issues.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why do you bar Linux users from TV Anywhere?

Hi Cloddy, 

Thanks for your post and apologies that you are not able to use TV Anywhere on the device you are currently running Linux on. 

As with a lot of programmes, there are certain technical elements that are needed to use the feature. With TV Anywhere, Flash is one of those. Aswell as using a supported OS such as Windows or Mac OS. You can find the full technical requirement specs here: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/viewArticle.jsp?uuid=9E966504-52D2-49F7-9EAB-8EBAF5B9F4FC

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
rkfb
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link but it's just what you say it is, a list of technical requirements. No one ever says why Linux users are not allowed to watch TV Anywhere or what the actual specific problem is.

I can watch BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 on Demand, Demand 5, Chelsea TV, Netflix, YouTube....many others also I'll bet. But not TV Anywhere. For a company supposedly at the cutting edge of technology it's a bit strange.

I could borrow my daughters Windows laptop and watch it on there so why not just let me watch it on mine. It just runs in a browser so what is it about the underlying operating system that Virgin Media doesn't like? I could be running Firefox on top of strawberry jelly and it shouldn't make a difference to what I'm watching.

Regards,

-- 

Robert

Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree with most of what you say there, Robert, but Demand5 has never worked for me on openSUSE. Also, last month, I contacted them as they'd made the same stupid mistake as VM have in introducing a check of the version number for Flash which was higher than is available for Linux. On the 15th, I got the following reply:
" There has been a recent update to the player on the website and it is possible that it will no longer work on Linux machines. We are sorry to disappoint you and have logged your comments about this facility for the attention of all relevant personnel. "

They also ignored the question about when they'd be switching to HTML5. Youtube now offers HTML5 instead of Flash.

Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, Kath, but this answer is unsatisfactory. Almost all other providers provide a service that works on Linux, why not VM? I suspect that the check on version number of Flash is a mistake on your part and the the Linux version provided by Adobe would still work.

Also, you have failed to answer my question about HTML5. As the chatter is that Flash may be dropped by Adobe, I would have thought you would have been preparing to switch to HTML5 in the same way that Youtube has already done.

0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've now been supplied with a solution to the problem, one I perhaps ought to have thought of myself as I already use Pipelight to enable the use of Silverlight. Once Pipelight is installed on a Linux system, Windows applications can be enabled to run under Wine, including Flash.

See http://pipelight.net/cms/about.html for an overall description and the "installation" link in particular.

rkfb
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, OK, I apologise. It's been a while since I watched anything on Demand5. You're right of course, they've gone the same way, no longer working here on Slackware either.

0 Kudos
rkfb
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Although I would prefer to call it a workaround rather than a solution. Watching on Linux pretending to be Windows doesn't really seem to be watching on Linux to me.

Nice though Cloddy. 

0 Kudos
Cloddy
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Not quite so nice though, I'm sorry to say. I've since found some problems with running Flash this way. First of all, in the ITV site, the pause/play button didn't work and this morning I found that a radio station I listen to didn't work at all. I've now disabled Flash via Wine and reverted to the Linux version. So the ball's back in VM's court, for all the good that'll do.

0 Kudos
rkfb
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you're right, no more from Kath_F.

I think they probably work from a script... 'If anyone mentions Linux post this link and move on'.

Oh, and I realised btw I can't go down the wine route as I'm running slackware64...unless I go multilib.

0 Kudos