Menu
stewboss
Joining in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Why can't TV Anywhere be used over 3G?

I recently switched from Sky to Virgin, however the TV Anywhere App falls well short of Sky Go.

The main negative is the fact that it cannot be viewed on 3G, only Wifi.

Please fix

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why can't TV Anywhere be used over 3G?

Hi carnivalist, 

The team are aware just how much customers want this. We are currently tied up with rights agreements in place with broadcasters. 

TV Anywhere is simply the name of the service. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator

It is indeed documented that it is wifi only for streaming.

No information as to when/if this will change.

It only applies to streaming. Other TV Anywhere functions can be used with 3G or 4G.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi stewboss, 

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post. 

I'm afraid this isn't actually a fault. The app is only able to connect via wifi. 

We've fedback the suggestion of making it available ton 3G/4G a while back but nothing has been mentioned as to whether this will happen. 

You can find everything you need to know about TV Anywhere here: http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/tv/on-the-go/welcome.html

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

carnivalist
Dialled in
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F wrote:

Hi stewboss, 

I'm afraid this isn't actually a fault. The app is only able to connect via wifi. 

We've fedback the suggestion of making it available ton 3G/4G a while back but nothing has been mentioned as to whether this will happen. 

I hope you fed back the fact that many people are annoyed at the mendacity of callling an app requiring a wi-fi connection to actually stream video TV "Anywhere", when universal and blanket Wi-Fi coverage is still very far from becoming a reality.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi carnivalist, 

The team are aware just how much customers want this. We are currently tied up with rights agreements in place with broadcasters. 

TV Anywhere is simply the name of the service. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
citibadger
Tuning in
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I too was amazed that it wasn't viewable over 3g/4g. I knew before I joined virgin that it was only WiFi,but I can't see why it can't be on 3g too? The Sky go app is superb,surely if Sky can do it you can too? Rights arguments or not,it can't be that hard. I appreciate that your 'anywhere' name is just that but it's extremely misleading,perhaps 'Virgin TV Anywhere over WiFi' would better reflect this.

Not a great marketing name I grant you,but definately would accurately describe your service for your customers.

Any timescale on when this might get sorted?
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi citibadger, 

Thanks for your post. 

As this isn't an actual fault, this isn't currently being worked on as such and therefore has no fix time. 

The rights agreements we have in place are based on us having the streaming via wifi. For us to go via 3G/4G it would mean renegotiating with broadcasters etc. 

If it is a feature we apply in the future we shall let you know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Felim_Doyle
Superfast
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I am surprised that the rights agreements differentiate between me sitting in a café streaming over a public WiFi network or a 3G/4G connection. I'm using the same device from the same place so surely the ‘mode of transport’ is irrelevant to the owner of the copyright. If anything, I would have expected them to be more concerned about streaming over wired or WiFi networks as it would lend itself more to public showings on large screen devices than a typical 3G/4G connected device.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Eyeballs77
Joining in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I imagine part of the reason it's WiFi only is because at least that way Virgin can ensure streamers are in the UK; with 3G/4G it's probably more difficult, especially if the mobile network allows use of their overseas operations without counting that as Roaming.

Another consideration, I guess, would be Data Plans. Yes, there are unlimited plans, but most people up until 4G have been on up to 5GB; now networks are operating cheaper deals for higher/unlimited use, it'll become less of an issue to be sitting on a 4 hour train journey streaming Syfy Channel Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Weetoye
Tuning in
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

I watched the virgin app loads of times on 3g a while back but no I cant
0 Kudos